Main Menu

340 throttle cable

Started by culp71, June 29, 2018, 07:50:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

culp71

my question is stock (for the most part) 340 and 727 in a 71 shaker cuda 4 barrel, the throttle cable is shifted in the adjuster all the way forward, but pedal is 1 inch form the all the way position.
when I push the pedal to the floor it does not open the carb up all the way, I can move the cable further on the carb and cable has slack when pedal only is pressed.
it is a "stock" new cable said to be correct, but I have the retainer sleeve as far as it will go.
I was think of just placing a 1/4 spacer under pedal mounting plate between floor and mount moving pedal 1/4 closer towards the rear of car, thus taking up this slack. I tried this temporarily and seem to work correctly, but wonder if maybe the bracket on the engine for throttle linkage is incorrect or something.
thoughts?

Chryco Psycho

The throttle cable bracket near the carb has a slide adjustment , pull the cable housing back in the slide clamp & it will increase the pedal height

RUNCHARGER

Maybe I'm not getting this right. Can you move the cable sleeve towards the rear of the car in the adjuster bracket? The cable sleeve has to be moved rearwards if possible.
Sheldon

culp71

I used the throttle cable bracket that is near the carb that has the " slide adjustment" I pulled the cable housing back as far as it went but its like the cable in side the cable housing is too long... pedal height did not change

RUNCHARGER

Yep: Cable is too long. Maybe your vendor can send another one. I have only had good luck with original Chrysler throttle cables.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

303 Mopar

Another option is a Lokar set up.  Replaces the complicated linkage setup, easy to instal and adjust.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-kd-2727u/overview/

Chryco Psycho

Lokar is not my favorite , the cable bracket is not strong enough

Burdar

With the cable clamp loose, have someone hold the pedal to the floor while you hold the throttle all the way open.  Are you able to lock down the clamp then?