Main Menu

Timing advance limit

Started by GoMangoBoys, September 11, 2023, 07:17:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

We built a  stroker from a Hughes stroker kit, so I talked to them about the timing advance requirements.  They told me 12 degrees base and 30-32 degrees total.  Our car was running at 12 and 41.  I decided that I needed to limit the total timing.  I bought the timing limiter from FBO Ignition.  When I went to install it, I discovered that the internals in our distributor was different than the ones that I saw videos on.  This one had a built in advance limiting mechanism.  I had to guess at the amount of adjustment needed.  I am now at 14 base and 30 total.

73_Cuda_4_Me

:congrats:

That is a pretty slick setup! I like the adjustable nature of that unit! Any idea on manufacturer of it? I built my own limiter plate for the dizzy on my 340 several years ago, but it was similar to the FBO unit, except I shifted the slot's idle position so that there was slightly greater tension at idle, to keep timing stable. I was getting 5 degrees of 'bounce' on timing at idle.

Thanks for sharing!

:cheers:
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

GoMangoBoys

No idea who makes it.  I may try to figure it out when I get home.  I bought it and the orange electronic box at Carlisle a couple years ago.  It came in a cardboard box.  I will look at that for clues.   I figured it was a basic mopar distributor.   I don't know what I don't know.

Chryco Psycho

That is the newer style replacement dist made by Accel or Mallory for Mopar with adjustable advance plate .

GoMangoBoys

I spoke to THIS guy at the Moparty.  I showed him my pics.  He said it was a Mopar Performance distributor from the early 90's.  He said that it was one of the last good ones before they changed to Chinese made.   No idea whether he is right or if Chryco is.

Kowal

So that is the distributor that Mopar sold as an over the counter part in the 90's.   If you follow Rick E in Mopar Action he has written many times to ditch those as they exhibit a lot of spark scatter which is why they aren't made anymore.   You should ditch that.

The FBO plate on a normal replacement distributor works great and will get you what you want on advance limits.   I use them on all my cars, past and present
69 Hemi Charger 500, 70 U-code Challenger R/T
(Had but now gone...2 A12's, 1 Hemi B-body, 3 other B-bodies, 2 other E-bodies and an A-body...a good run!).  See www.DKowal426.com

P.J. O'Rouke:  "The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

Chryco Psycho

Both are right I believe , for sure a newer replacement , made by Accel or Mallory & Had the adjustable advance built in probably 90s era . maybe they were no good either ?