Main Menu

Timing chain or gear drive oil supply addition

Started by soccernut43, June 14, 2020, 10:52:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

soccernut43

I've been reading a book on rebuilding a 340 engine.  The majority of the stuff is helpful.  Some I have questions about.  One of the so called tricks the author uses is drilling a small hole in the soft plugs that go into what I think are the lifter oil supply lines in the block.  You have to modify either the plate that covers these holes and the end of the camshaft or modify the plate that comes with the Milodon gears attached to it.  The author states the lifter supply lines in the block are under pressure.  The small holes in each soft plug allow oil to be supplied to the timing chain or gear drive.  Just wondering if this is a worth while modification?  There is an oil slinger mounted on the front of the crankshaft below but I can't remember if the slinger can be used of if I used it with my Milodon gear drive (it's been 36 years plus since this engine has been put together).  Also the author "peens" the lifter supply line soft plugs with a chisel to make sure they stay intact with holes being added in the camshaft or gear drive plate (although the initial hole in the soft plug is very small and if you drilled the holes in the camshaft/gear drive plate you could drill them smaller to hold the soft plugs in.

Unsure if it's worth this modification.  Thanks for the help.

73_Cuda_4_Me

My 70 340 has one bolt on the cam thrust plate that is drilled... top one on passenger side...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

7212Mopar

And there is a angle plate that drips oil to the chain. I thought all small block came from the factory that way.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

soccernut43

I have a Milodon gear drive I had on the car 36 years ago and am putting it back on.  There were no holes drilled in bolts or soft plugs but I was wondering if it was worth it or not. 

MoparLeo

moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Chryco Psycho

For sure it is worth it with a gear drive , most small blocks I have seen have the drilled bolt

soccernut43

Thanks for the input guys.  I think I'll remove the gear drive (it's on hand tight right now) and take out the small soft plugs and drill the 1/32" of an inch hole in a set of new ones, install the new ones, and drill two 3/8" holes in the gear drive back plate.  The lifter oil supply is pressurized so it should squirt a small stream of oil onto the gear drive.