Main Menu

Timing guide

Started by 72 Challenger, April 20, 2018, 08:30:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72 Challenger

Hi Guys,

I know this has been posted before, I just can't find it. Someone had a guide for setting up timing on an engine (Chryco?) I know on a former board it was pinned/ sticky somewhere.

Basically I have a 340 that was re-assembled after an engine out detailing. It's set to TDC and I am hopefully going to fire it up this weekend and set the timing. Not a brand new engine, Just want to ensure it's running well before I make any decisions on selling.
Someday I will have a J0b.

nsmall

What the heck shawge, I go digging around and finally find the link, come back to post it and you already beat me.   :handshake:

72 Challenger

I was looking for something more specific to Timing and not breaking in a new engine.

I am pretty sure @Chryco Psycho wrote it once but it was all about how to set the timing. Unplug the vacuum advance, run the engine at 2500 RMP set the all in advance, after choke is off running turning the disto to reach max rpm etc...

Chryco Psycho

What info are you looking for ? generally they will run bets around 14-16* at idle & 36* at 2500 + rpm

72 Challenger

I was looking for the steps.

You had a guide about how to do it with Vacuum gauge. Or perhaps that was setting idle? I had a couple of printed pages and of course lost them.

I have the car set to TDC right now. I will start the car set the initial and than run the thing up to 2500 RPM and verify the total advance and adjust until it's at 36.

Chryco Psycho

I have never really used a vacuum gauge to time an engine you can use it for idle mix settings, generally most engines like 10- 16* at idle & total of 34-36* at 2500 rpm up for best power , overadvancing at higher RPM will also lose power .
The timing setting at RPM is far more important than at idle as the engine spends most of its time & makes most of the power 2500 rpm up , but you can have a stumble & poor response if the timing is not advanced enough at idle , most cars will work well with a 20* curve so around 14*-16* at idle & 34-36* at rpm .
Having said that I time most engines by ear & let the engine tell me what it likes .

RUNCHARGER

In a nutshell your total timing has to be set at what makes the most power, then you work at bringing it in as fast as you can without it pinging. CP knows his stuff and his recommendation will be dead on for most engines.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

-3] as well as making it as responsive as possible off idle
There are a lot of factors , fuel atomization , port & chamber efficiency , burn rate . For example you would assume a high powered engine such as a Hemi would want more advance but often it is the opposite , the hemi has the spark plug or plugs in the middle of the chamber  & the fuel can burn fast from the center out so it may need 2* less total timing for optimum power so efficent engines need less timing typically .
:thankyou: Sheldon  :bigthumb:

72 Challenger

Thanks for the help chryco!

I went in yesterday and managed to get the timing done. I set it at 10 degrees initially and it seemed to have a hard time starting when it was warm. I backed it down a touch and it seems to be happier. I will try starting it again after work to see how it starts cold, I predict there will be no issues. Man it felt great to drive it for the first time this year.