Main Menu

Top dead center

Started by Spikedog08, July 25, 2019, 02:49:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Spikedog08

What is the easiest way to confirm you are at top dead center on the number one cylinder?   :notsure:  50/50 chance but . . .  Pull the cap and see if number 1 is firing?
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

70 Challenger Lover

The timing mark on the balancer to start. If that isn't possible, the rotor position under the cap. There is top dead center on the compression stroke and also one full turn again TDC on the end of the exhaust stroke. If I am tossing in a distributor and I am not sure which TDC I have, I like to turn the engine so it's 45-60 degrees before top, pull number one plug and then rotate the engine to top with my finger in the spark plug hole. It's easier than it sounds and it becomes super obvious when air is whistling past you finger that it's on the compression stroke.

Spikedog08

Perfect!  I was one rotation out . . Lashing the valves.  Thanks
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

anlauto

Yup...If you have power to crank it over...pull number one plug and stick your finger over the hole. Crank the engine over at the starter relay until you feel the compression.   Then just turn the crank adjusting it until the timing mark is at zero :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration