Main Menu

Trans rear seal

Started by xx88man, March 12, 2024, 08:32:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

Yesterday I changed the rear seal on my 727. I get under the car today to change the transmission fluid and I noticed that the new seal is leaking too. Car hasn't run. Very little play in the output shaft. Is it possible that the slip yoke is my problem? Has anyone seen that before? Is there something I'm missing?
Keep yer foot in it

7dcuda

Slip yoke could very well be the possible problem.  Over time, the seal can wear a groove in the slip yoke where it rides.  If the yoke has that groove in it a new seal will not seal.  If you didn't inspect the yoke you'll need to pull the drive shaft back out and inspect the yoke surface to know for sure.

RacerX

I rebuilt my 727 and installed new tailshaft bushing, new seal (proper style with "dust boot") and,
hoping to avoid this very situation, also used a NEW yoke.

The result?    It still seeps a little bit of fluid and drips occasionally at the yoke.     :pullinghair:

xx88man

Quote from: RacerX on March 13, 2024, 09:44:17 AMI rebuilt my 727 and installed new tailshaft bushing, new seal (proper style with "dust boot") and,
hoping to avoid this very situation, also used a NEW yoke.

The result?    It still seeps a little bit of fluid and drips occasionally at the yoke.    :pullinghair:

Wow that's frustrating!
Just pulled mine again and yes the yoke is worn  :pullinghair:   Is it worth looking around for a used one?
Keep yer foot in it

xx88man

I ordered a new yoke. Thanks for the replies
Keep yer foot in it

Brads70

Quote from: xx88man on March 13, 2024, 12:38:09 PMI ordered a new yoke. Thanks for the replies

Good move, they are not all that expensive for a new one.  :twothumbsup:

xx88man

Quote from: Brads70 on March 13, 2024, 01:53:50 PM
Quote from: xx88man on March 13, 2024, 12:38:09 PMI ordered a new yoke. Thanks for the replies

Good move, they are not all that expensive for a new one.  :twothumbsup:

So true Brad! I was pleasantly surprised... don't see that too often nowadays
Keep yer foot in it

Chryco Psycho

Changing the rear bushing may be nessisary also , there is a tool available to do it basically in car .