Main Menu

Tremec TKX 5 speed manual transmission E body kit

Started by FSHTAIL, June 11, 2021, 11:22:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ragtopdodge

For those w/an 883 already, may not be worth it.

But if you're converting from automatic, there's no other reasonable option IMHO.

Passon 885?  $6k.

GV?  You still need to buy an 883.

FSHTAIL

I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings or anything.   
I just like what I like is all.  Notchy as in it doesn't like high rom shifting.    I shift at 6800 when I'm on it.     These don't like that.   

$5300 still isn't bad in my opinion.   
You're also paying for engineering.     
Fabrication and costs are something I understand.

Quote from: rikkitik on June 13, 2021, 07:57:12 AM
Quote from: Chris D. on June 12, 2021, 09:47:41 PM
Gear vendors isn't fixing how sloppy/notchy these A833's are.   
4k is nothing for what you're getting.
Wow 😕, I would say you and I have completely different opinions of the A-833. When properly set up, the A-833 is my favorite 4spd to drive (also my favorite to work on when necessary).
Of "modern" transmissions I've owned/driven, I seriously dislike the T56 (on multiple levels), and the TR6060, though notchy, is "ok". But, to each his own.
As I mentioned in my original post, (though I guess I was not specific), I received the quote from SST this past Thursday, June 10.
And, just to be clear, your 4k is light. $4711, plus driveshaft and clutch, pushes it out closer to $5300.
No opinion on choice (other than my own), just relaying numbers.
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

rikkitik

Quote from: Chris D. on June 13, 2021, 01:07:28 PM
I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings or anything.   

No worries 👍
Just different experiences. I've never had a issue shifting anywhere in the 6-6500 range. Actually was half curious why (at the time/"back in the day") they modified them into "crash boxes". All I ever need to do is, pre-load the shifter, quick stab of the clutch, done. Any missed shifts were/are my fault.
Now, re-learning how to drive a 6spd well, 🤔..........It took conscious effort and practice to "un-learn" the 2-3 pre-load 🙄
I had a tendency to push diagonally with the heal of my hand.....banged into the 3-5 gate like a complete amateur 🤨 (a bunch of times 🙄).
😅
I'm not spinning the 440 over 5800 until I've gone through the short block. It's pretty fresh, but I have "trust issues" with other people's work. Just happy to be back in a Mopar, with a transmission that I have complete faith in.
Sorry for the ramble, and any "derailment" of your original question.

rftroy

I conracted SST today, and left a message for APT.
SST tech says TKXs for Mopars (maybe all others) are backordered and wait is est. at 8 to 10 weeks.

I asked about the really low appearing crossmember and ground clearance.  The tech said he couldn't give out that informattion or provide dimensions because it is proprietary.  That's stretching the definition a bit when I just want one dimension to determine ground clearance.    Nevertheless, he said it is the same crossmember that they have used for the TKO for years, and was designed by Keisler before they bought them out.

If they just used the existing crossmember for the TKO to save money, it might be worth investigating fabricating a custom crossmember to increase ground clearance.  Would need closer inspection and measuring, but there looks to be a lot of empty space between the TKX trans and the SST crossmember in the earlier posted video.
APT crossmember appears to be similar.  I will try and pry info from them when they call back.

Who has installed a TKO in their car that has measured the difference in ground clearance due to this crossmember, or the differences in the depth of the crossmembers themselves?

Robert
70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

anlauto

If you're running headers, or even stock exhaust...the amount the cross-member "hangs down" will be the least of your worries...

Here's two TKO's that I've done, both APT kits (before there was an SST)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FSHTAIL

I pulled the trigger on Silver Sport's kit since they make their own shifters to work with the stock Pistol Grip.   

Also, it was almost 1200 CHEAPER than American Powertrain... 

Dakota

Just checking if there's any more recent experience with installing a TKX.   I had a chance to see (and shift) a display unit at Carlisle.    The smoothness of the shifting is amazing.   

I had recently convinced myself that I'd stick with my A833 OD, but a few days ago I drove a friend's modern car with a stick shift so now I'm re-re-thinking whether to make a swap for the TKX.

The SST reps at Carlisle repeated what's been shown in their recent YouTube video about the TKX fitting into an e-body without any tunnel modifications or even any creative hammer blows for addressing clearance issues.   The reps also indicated that they're about 2 months backordered at this point, so the swap would likely end up being "winter work".

FSHTAIL

I got on the list..   I should get mine by mid-august.. 

Quote from: Dakota on July 24, 2021, 11:22:44 AM
Just checking if there's any more recent experience with installing a TKX.   I had a chance to see (and shift) a display unit at Carlisle.    The smoothness of the shifting is amazing.   

I had recently convinced myself that I'd stick with my A833 OD, but a few days ago I drove a friend's modern car with a stick shift so now I'm re-re-thinking whether to make a swap for the TKX.

The SST reps at Carlisle repeated what's been shown in their recent YouTube video about the TKX fitting into an e-body without any tunnel modifications or even any creative hammer blows for addressing clearance issues.   The reps also indicated that they're about 2 months backordered at this point, so the swap would likely end up being "winter work".

FSHTAIL

I've had everything for a few weeks, just waiting on time.   
I'll tear into it this weekend..     Waiting for a 90's Dakota starter and retro contact kit for it.   
Going to grab a fresh positive battery cable/connector. 
Fresh flywheel and ARP's from Brewers are on it's way.. 
Should all be here by weeks end.. 

Not pictured is the hydraulic setup.     
I'll try and get some more pictures and video, I'll be utilizing www.Rumble.com once I make an account..   

Filthy Filbert

I will be buying this transmission for my Cuda.    I will also be buying from Geoff Gerko at Gerko Enterprises (http://gerkoenterprises.com)     I've used him for several projects, and helped him develop his T-56/Dakota package, which includes a custom 130 tooth flywheel to fit inside a quicktime bell but retains the tone ring for the factory crank position sensor for the EFI.  He may not be advertising a TKX kit yet, but he can put together the components to complete the swap; and, he's the US rep for Mantic clutch, which produces some very nice, high quality, big HP capable clutches. (up to a triple disc, 1000 Hp!!!)

Here's my feedback on the various Tremec transmissions:

The TKO-500/600 was my first Tremec, ran it behind a 438 stroker (383 block).  It uses a 3-rail internal shift mechanism. Each rail operates 2 gear syncros.  1-2  3-4 and 5-R. At light throttle, easy driving, it shifted like butter.  but anything over 4000 rpm it was like shoving the shifter into a wall.  it would NOT go through the gate and into gear until the RPM settled back down.  Yes, the lakewood bell was dialed into the block for less than .005" of run-out; and yes, the clutch provided the appropriate amount of air-gap on the clutch disc.  When googling about the TKO, a common complaint is how notchy and difficult it is to shift at high rpm.

The T-56 is a much larger transmission case, but it shifts WAAYYYY better than the TKO. It uses a single, internal shift rail to operate all the syncros.  I can powershift the T-56 with ease, even at 6000 rpm. Nice smooth crisp shifts. I would run the T56 in my Cuda but it's so big and the trans tunnel is so small.   The T56 is clearly best at home in modern vehicles with large transmission tunnels meant to accommodate today's modern over-drive transmissions.

I am told the TKX has a smaller case than the TKO, still uses an internal 3-rail system like the TKO, but the syncros are more like what's in the T56, and is supposed to shift much nicer than the TKO did.   I will be severely disappointed if that's not the case.

headejm

BluRaySRT

What is the status of your Tremec TKX project  Pictures?  Thank you!

FSHTAIL

Quote from: BluRaySRT on October 28, 2021, 01:53:58 PM
What is the status of your Tremec TKX project  Pictures?  Thank you!

I have a post I'll be updating soon..       I'm waiting on a driveline to be made and buttoning up a few of the loose ends (accessories, alt, pwr steering pump, new 5.9 Magnum starter)
Broke the fan shroud, need to get one of those.. 

rebelyell

This is the kit I'm going to buy next year when I get into the hemi swap.

Dakota

@FSHTAIL Any news or pics on your Tremec TKX installation?   I'm really curious (and a little envious) about your installation. :stayinlane: