Main Menu

What Gaskets/Seals can be easily replaced without dropping a 727 Torqueflite?

Started by 70Challenger440, April 25, 2024, 10:24:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70Challenger440

I will be bringing in one of my cars that has been sitting for a while, in for some minor work. Like most of my cars, the transmission leaks on this one too. One day I plan to have the 727 TF completely redone. For now I just want to have them replace all easy to get at gaskets and seals that are quickly accessible while the car is on their lift. (that don't require dropping the transmission). The shop wants me to buy  and have them ready for when I bring the car.

Could you let me know which ones I need to buy besides the pan gasket. Thanks.

Chryco Psycho

There is a small seal around the shift shaft , An O ring on the dipstick tube , & the real seal for the driveshaft .
 When they sit for a long time often the converter drains down & the front seal can leak behind the converter but that can't be changed easily .
 I would go to a local trans supplier to buy .

Bullitt-

:iagree:   I replaced those as well as the SPEEDOMETER PINION ADAPTER SEAL myself

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.php?prod=SSK

Also found that there was a leek in the neutral safety switch body which I think is unusual. 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Katfish

Have them clean and dab RTV on the pivot pin.
Easy to do, more effort to replace the o-ring.

70Challenger440

Thanks for all your replies. 3 final questions regarding parts choices.

1) What is the best type and brand of pan gasket that is least likely to leak and what is the best sealer to use for it? 

2) Are quality aluminum pans less likely to leak than stock types?

3) For the rest of the gaskets & seals, is there a specific quality brand I should be looking for?

7212Mopar

Aluminum pan has a stiffer flange than the stamp steel pan. Both types have factory capacity or high capacity versions. Aluminum pan is also more expensive. My aluminum pan has a machine face but for whatever reason, it was not flat when I put a straight edge to it. I ended up have to sand it down with sand paper on a very flat surface face up and slide the pan over it until flat. I use Lubelocker gasket and they said do not add sealant to the surface and the gasket. My pan had been leak free.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket