Main Menu

Valve covers

Started by cuda hunter, December 15, 2019, 12:55:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

Quote from: cudabob496 on December 19, 2019, 12:17:53 AM
this stopped every valve cover leak and tranny leak on my Cuda. Makes gaskets swell.
Also works in power steering units. Its amazing, IMO. My local auto parts store said
it is the most stolen item in their store.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AT-205-ATP-Re-Seal-Leak-Stopper-8oz-Pack-Of-2-2-Pack/223557505273?epid=14029889441&hash=item340d10d0f9:g:4gwAAOSwX7BdG4jS

Interesting that you have used that and it has worked.  Glad to know it. Looks like a decent product.  I just might give it a try.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

So, started the truck and let it get up to temp idling for about 20 minutes. 
Leaks like a sieve.    From both back corners.
Re snugged the bolts all the way around. 
Used a half inch socket and barely tapped down on the rear corners of the valve covers.
I will start it again tomorrow and see if it is still leaking.

So, I either remove the valve covers again and put sealant on the lower side of the gasket.  barely snug down and let sit over night.  Then snug down the next day. 

Or I could try the stop leak product.  would have to order it and would take a few days anyway. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

removed and put mopar gear sealant on as I had some sitting in the drawer.
The bottoms of every part of the gaskets were covered in oil.  Not one spot didn't have oil on it.

I appreciate the suggestions and will consider them under greater detail.

cudabob496

Also cut back on my main crank seal leakage.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

cudabob496

also stops power steering leakage. Just
mix at the recommened ratio.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

usraptor

Another vote for the "Right Stuff."  I used it on my valve covers and oil pan and no leaks.  It does stick well, and it's not that difficult to get the valve covers off if you need to.

bc3j

Another Right Stuff vote. On valve covers for 7 years now, no leaks.