Main Menu

Water pump / Continuous leak after changing the seal ....

Started by THE ZUKE, January 26, 2019, 09:12:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RJChallenger

I feel for you Zuke. That looks like a mopar performance pump. If it has a thicker housing than a standard pump , that might be why the pulley rubs the bolts. If it's the same thickness as a stock pump, I would look to see it the hub can be moved on the shaft. 2nd when you say you changed the seal , do you mean the gasket between the pump and housing, if  you changed the gasket between the pump and housing , that has nothing to do with the pump leaking when you turn it by hand . You will need to rebuild the pump or replace. If you rebuild the pump then you could have the hub installed on the shaft minus he thickness of those washers, That wouldn't be enough to miss align the pulleys . Good luck

jimynick

OK, so it looks like the leak is NOT coming out of that bolt, but rather dripping off it. Chryco and I can vouch for the fact that a new Mopar Performance pump that was installed on Andy's Cuda, leaked like a sieve when we started the engine and we ended up changing the pump- period. There's no reasonable explanation for it other than lousy quality control at the manufacturers. Not what you want to hear of course, but when she leaks at one particular spot, I don't see any other way out of it. Quel dommage, mon vieux.  :bye:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Brads70

Quote from: jimynick on January 27, 2019, 06:32:10 PM
OK, so it looks like the leak is NOT coming out of that bolt, but rather dripping off it. Chryco and I can vouch for the fact that a new Mopar Performance pump that was installed on Andy's Cuda, leaked like a sieve when we started the engine and we ended up changing the pump- period. There's no reasonable explanation for it other than lousy quality control at the manufacturers. Not what you want to hear of course, but when she leaks at one particular spot, I don't see any other way out of it. Quel dommage, mon vieux.  :bye:

I also had the same new Mopar water pump that didn't last one summer before it leaked. Hate to admit it but quality is not what it used to be... :('

aussiemark

Clean all traces of coolant so everything is clean and dry then pressure test the cooling system, you will see exactly where source of the leak is without starting the engine and having it flicked and blown everywhere.

THE ZUKE

I have read all your answers and I thank you for that. :bigthumb:
In summary, in my opinion, having changed the first round seal on the front of the pump, to have teflon band and sealant on the 4 screws didn't change anything.
I have the impression that the trickle of running water when I turn the pump in my hand is the same.
The leak is always present at the same place on a full lap. While when the engine is running, there is nothing. :thinking:
I agree, it's a MOPAR PERF pump.
To follow your advice, I will change the pump even if it seems recent. :headbang:
Which brand and model do you recommend?
Thanks  :thankyou:

RUNCHARGER

I would just order a rebuilt from a parts store (probably a no go over there).
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

Looks like you have a warped pump. Pull it off and check it.

It would be easier to just buy a new one mon ami.

B
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

THE ZUKE

News of the day, water pump Edelbrock ordered.  :dunno:

I hope this one will be better than MOPAR perf water pump.

I read on different reviews that a plenty of persons had problems with MOPAR perf.

RUNCHARGER

Yes QC at Mopar Performance is pretty much non existent.
Sheldon

THE ZUKE

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 17, 2019, 08:23:14 AM
Yes QC at Mopar Performance is pretty much non existent.

Okay, I understand better the problems encountered.  :verymad: