Main Menu

What 1974 engine is this?

Started by fireguyfire, April 27, 2019, 01:49:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

My son drives a 69 sweptline adventurer pickup. When we bought it this engine and transmission were in the back of the truck, presumably to get dropped in eventually. Good thing the previous owner didn't do it as the numbers matching 318 is in great shape and runs like a top.
I had forgotten about this engine and torqueflite sitting in the trees, and when I came across them the other day I was thinking I should move them into the barn and see if at least the transmission is worth salvaging.
What type of engine do I have; a 360?
Casting date on the side of the block and the exhaust manifold is 4/28/74.
Is there any point in salvaging them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anlauto

Could be a 74 360  :dunno: Try looking at the casting number on the side of the block. One side will tell you the year, the other will say 318 or 360  :brainiac:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparcar

I'd be guessing a 360 with that thermoquad 4-barrel on it. I agree with Alan, look at the block numbers.

fireguyfire

Will do

fireguyfire

I'm pretty sure 360 but I will confirm that.
Any value to a 74 360 with torqueflite?

moparcar

If it's an original 4-barrel 360 it could be valuable to someone restoring a 74 high performance Mopar.

fireguyfire

That's ironic; I'm looking for a 73 340 for my 73 rally challenger

anlauto

Quote from: MoparCar on April 27, 2019, 02:16:30 PM
If it's an original 4-barrel 360 it could be valuable to someone restoring a 74 high performance Mopar.

Yea there used to be a demand for an original E58 1974 360 4bbl motor....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

cordodge

They are a great motor, I had a couple 74 360 e58 4 speeds not many were 4 speeds. I am sure someone would be looking for one for their Challenger, Dart sport ect.

Rich G.

If it's been sitting outside for a long time exposed to the elements I'd be worried about how much rust is in the engine. Does it even turn over?

fireguyfire

anlauto

Have you had a chance to get a look at the casting numbers ?

fireguyfire

Drivers side of the block has
2536030-318-2

fireguyfire

So I'm guessing that means it's a 318?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: fireguyfire on April 28, 2019, 10:45:08 AM
So I'm guessing that means it's a 318?