Main Menu

Keisler/Silver Sport 6 speed and 440?

Started by Spartan040, April 19, 2019, 10:07:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Spartan040

Anyone here ever mated a Keisler (now Silver Sport Transmissions) modified Tremec 6 speed to a big block before? I want a manual for my old school resto mod build as a point of contrast to my future modern Challenger which will have an automatic, also for the old school look and feel and mechanical simplicity. Sure, I could just go with a standard 4 speed, but I'd like to be able to casually drive this car and take it on long cruises. Probably not on a daily basis, but frequently, and overdrive would be a wonderful thing for that.

RUNCHARGER

If cost and ease of installation are concerns I still think the easiest is using a Passon OD4 setup. It all goes in using stock parts and no cutting or modifying is necessary.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Jamie Passon has both 4 & 5 speed OD trans available that will bolt in without modification ,
The next best choice is the Tremec T56 Magnum Viper trans but this would require serious floor modification
I have not been impressed with a lot of the Tremec 5 speed trans out there , yes they will fit but they can be hard to shift @ higher Rpm , I would test drive one before buying  :alan2cents:

Spartan040

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 19, 2019, 10:40:38 PM
Jamie Passon has both 4 & 5 speed OD trans available that will bolt in without modification ,
The next best choice is the Tremec T56 Magnum Viper trans but this would require serious floor modification
I have not been impressed with a lot of the Tremec 5 speed trans out there , yes they will fit but they can be hard to shift @ higher Rpm , I would test drive one before buying  :alan2cents:

I've driven a 2017 Shelby GT350 that had a Tremec 6 speed that is fairly close to what Keisler sells, I liked it. Basically a slightly modified T56 Magnum straight out of a Viper. But tell me about these Passon transmissions, how tough are they? What kind of power can they handle? How does their reliability and robustness compare to a Tremec? I don't necessarily *need* a second OD gear so if I can fit a 5 speed in without any tunnel modification, I'm interested.

Then again, the two kits are similarly priced, and I'm unsure about the easy availability of parts for the Passon 5 speed in the future should I ever have to make repairs or do a rebuild.

Chryco Psycho

Passon has redesigned the 833 so the 4 spd OD from passon is as strong as you can get , I doubt you could break it but having said that someone will find a way !
The 855 5 spd is is also tough as Heck but they are in limited supply , they too bolt in without modification
Both use the larger 18 spline input shaft & clutch [Hemi] & for sure are stronger than any of the Tremecs except the T56 Magnum & the newer viper Trans

GoodysGotaCuda

Not a big block but I do love the t56 magnum in my Cuda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs