Main Menu

Where is my coolant leak?

Started by kawahonda, September 21, 2018, 07:44:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Which version of Barr's do you guys recommend for something like this? There's the tablets, the silver can, the red can, and the copper one (which sounds extreme).

Here's two popular options. Perhaps this first:

Liquid aluminum: https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneous-cleaners-and-degreasers/stop-leak/bar-s-liquid-aluminum-cooling-system-and-radiator-stop-leak/558353_0_0

Concentrate: https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneous-cleaners-and-degreasers/stop-leak/bar-s-cooling-system-stop-leak/426115_0_0

Certainly worth a shot if it doesn't crud anything and buys me a couple years. It has been known to solve plug leaks like these....
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Chryco Psycho

RUNCHARGER

I wonder if a guy could use barrs leak on rusted quarter panels?
Sheldon

kawahonda

I'll pick up some iron tite on the way home.

kawahonda

kawahonda

No need to answer. I went with Bars, just the basic formula because I didn't trust using the kind with big flakes.

Engine is running with it now. I'll report back over the next few days to see if it worked. Hopefully will buy me a year or so.

Chryco Psycho

I have had amazing results with Irontite if Bars doesn't help

Brads70

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 22, 2018, 12:55:25 PM
I have had amazing results with Irontite if Bars doesn't help

Yep me too!  :iagree:

Moprr

I used iron tite in the wife's car for the head gasket leak and it worked for a few years.  NOt sure but I have been told by some that some Honda dealers used it when vehicles were under warranty.

Chryco Psycho

I heard Cadillac used it as the Northstar castings were often porous even on the assembly line

71-440

Never heard of Irontite. Used Barrs leak way back in the day with some success.
Joe

kawahonda

Does coolant go in our heater core even when the heater switch is off? Just curious.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: kawahonda on September 22, 2018, 07:25:44 PM
Does coolant go in our heater core even when the heater switch is off? Just curious.

Yes... Especially true of a non-A/C car.... Does your windshield fog up?

kawahonda

Nope, windshield doesn't fog up at all.

Well, Bar's didn't work. I had it idle twice for 30 minutes.

I suppose I'll flush it and try irontite. I should certainly use the flush bottle, but @Chryco Psycho , do you use blue and red, or just one of them?

Chryco Psycho

I have only seen or used 1 type of Irontite in a grey bottle , the different colors may be for different applications or metal types