Main Menu

Will this transmission ever stop leaking?

Started by nsmall, April 21, 2021, 09:06:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I have spent a lot of time and money trying to get my 727 to stop leaking.  New pans, new gaskets that were supposed to be leak proof.

Should I just toss in the  :whiteflag: and give up?  I know these cars are old, and I dont mind a drip, but lately I have noticed the puddles are growing to two about the size of a quarter after driving my car. 

The Main leak I am guessing is around the pan, but I noticed a drip at the speedo cable and at the trans cross member bolts.  I have even had two local "experts" work on it (charge me a small fortune) and I am :Thud:

Any advice?  Thanks

Mrbill426

It can drive you nuts.
Be sure and look around the shifter shaft, there is a seal around it that is prone to leaking and it will flow down around the pan rail.

7212Mopar

1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

1 Wild R/T

7E-Bodies

It's like 727's were made to leak. I've had many. Currently have one, just rebuilt and am afraid of it as well. May be getting another car with a 727  :headbang: I fought a 727 leak on my U code 70 Challenger for years, later to find it had been leaking where the dipstick tube entered the case. Those tubes fit like saddles on sows. Piss poor design on Ma Mopar's part IMHO. Take a close look there.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

anlauto

YES...eventually it will stop leaking if you stop topping it up  :D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

I've had leaks, I've fixed leaks...  Most common points are the band anchor, the shift shaft & the dipstick tube.... The solution for the dip stick tube is use a modern design dipstick tube... You what it to look stock?  Reuse your dipstick with the new design tube... Just modify so the tube/stick length matches...

The band anchor gets a new O ring & the shift shaft gets a new seal...

7E-Bodies

@1 Wild R/T I swear I heard harp music when I saw this! I have a newly rebuilt numbers matching 727 ready to go into service and will definitely order one of these. I can't believe how sloppy the stock tube fits into that body. I'm starting to refer to 727's as the "Kokomo Kalamity".

Scooter

^^^ Reminds me of the power steering setup on my old Ford.. when it stops leaving a puddle you are out of fluid.  :haha:

tparker

Just to throw out an opinion. LOL. I think the first thing is to figure out where the leak is coming from. If you changed the pan and gasket, I doubt it would continue to leak if that was the problem. As mentioned there are a few places it can leak from so we gotta narrow it down. I would clean every thing as best as I could, then clean it better since I usually don't do a great job the first time. Then drive it around and then watch for the leaks. If it is slow, then I'd put some paper towels down to isolate where the drips were coming from then follow the wetness back to the source if possible. Maybe you already did all this. But is it coming from the front, bottom, sides, rear of the tranny? Might help diagnose it a bit better. :)

Good luck. Now you have me scared that mine will leak too.

RUNCHARGER

It's just O-rings and gaskets, most important thing to do is find out where it is leaking first. Back when we drove these cars daily they didn't seem to leak. I think that sitting for days on end seems to make them leak.
Sheldon

7E-Bodies

Another problem is the stock pans. If the flange isn't laser flat (after 50 years of being bolted down) a leak is guaranteed. Being an OCD purist in most cases, I find it hard to shell out $250 for an aluminum that IMO is too close to the ground, but I may make an exception.

nsmall

Thanks everyone I'll go out there and give her the old college try. :unitedstates:

mopar jack

I found leaks at the front of the pan due to a weak area causing it to bow. I put a piece of flat bar across 2 bolt holes.

7E-Bodies