Main Menu

wrong head gaskets???

Started by GoMangoBoys, January 22, 2022, 08:52:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

We are ready to install the heads and have possibly hit a snag.  It looks like we may not have the right head gaskets.  There is one set of holes that appear to be water jacket holes that are totally covered by the gasket.  There is one set of holes that are partially covered by a slit in the gasket at each hole location.
Also, note that I am using cast iron 440 heads on a 383 block.  The heads appear to have matching holes in the locations where the gaskets are covering the holes in the block.
Are these the right gaskets, or do we have the wrong ones? 
Thanks

tedsweet

i believe that is the correct gasket

GoMangoBoys

We looked at several other head gaskets from different manufacturers that Summit Racing said were for our engine and they all had the same hole pattern. Based on that along with the confirmation from @tedsweet , we moved forward and installed the heads.

Cratos

I cut the slots into holes for the water jackets like the old style head gaskets

ek3

part number? they look like they are a bit large at the bore. not that they wont work.

Chryco Psycho

Those are correct , some of the holes are blocked & others restricted by the gasket .

MOPAR MITCH

You should NEVER cut holes in the head gasket.. they are designed by the factory to control the flow pattern and volume of coolant between the head and the block, as well as the intake.   The casting holes -- from all manufacturers -- are always larger and in strategic locations simply to have the sand removed during the casting process.  DO NOT MODIFY THE HEAD GASKET IN ANY WAY AT ALL OR ELSE YOU HIGHLY RISK COOLING PROBLEMS!

I'm a former applications gasket engineer from a major manufacturer.

anlauto

As for the large hole on the bottom, is there a corresponding hole in the cylinder head ? I would look at that first :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Scooter

I made a similar mistake with the Felpro head gaskets on my 390FE. One of the oil passage holes was MUCH smaller than the corresponding holes on the block and head. So I punched the hole to match. Turns out the oil restriction was there by design. I ended up restricting the oil to the head the gasket was designed to provide. 

Live and learn...

Cratos

i cut them to match the one that came off the motor when we tore it down.