Main Menu

Which 1’s : 340 head gaskets , timing chain,tensioner

Started by Red70340Cuda, February 25, 2023, 10:24:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Red70340Cuda

Hello everyone I'm going to be doing a head a cam swap so I started reading post to try a find some head gasket ,timing chains, and tensioner.  I thought I had found what I was going to use but some were old posting an parts change.

The head gasket I thought I wanted were Mopar performance p4120094 I think they're about 20 compressed .  Then I read they changed from red to black an are not of the same quality. I am looking for something a thin head gasket yet still reliable for my 340 that is  board 30 over .  Do they make gaskets that keep the fire ring out of the bore or is that another a problem?    I'm changing heads to get the compression up so I need thin head gaskets!

Timing chains I was thinking rollmaster  does any one know the difference between cs5000 the red on . A the cs5010 gold ?   Or has there been something new that has came out that's better.

A the timing chain tensioner.  Are they still being used or casing just more problems?  Or should I just get one of those collars that slip over the distributor  shaft  where it goes to oil pump a cam gear ?

Thank you for all the help

Chryco Psycho

Mr Gasket had steel shim gaskets , maybe Felpro or McCord still has them
I like the JP performance chains with 7 keyways for degreeing the cam
tensioner can't hurt .

Duodec

@Chryco Psycho
is there any issue using the factory type tensioners with aftermarket timing chains?  Those tensioners were used in later models with factory chains that I thought were still the multilink silent-type chains; the back is a lot smoother than performance double rollers, and the back of the chain is what the tensioner is pushing against...

MOPAR MITCH

The best and proper way to change CR is with the pistons (or else the CC of the head's chamber.   Unless you find a single steel shim head gasket (~020")... most all the composition style head gaskets will be about 038-050.  Also, consider using new ARP head bolts.

The timing chain tensioner was never factory intended for anything other than the late Magnum engines... and using a double roller chain may have interference with the oil slinger... I discovered that on my LA stroker... had to grind clearance of the phenolic tensioner away from the slinger.  This is an overall issue that should be more exposed, IMO.