Main Menu

Any tips on installing an Accurate exhaust ?

Started by gaddied, September 16, 2018, 09:17:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gaddied

I bought a new Accurate exhaust system for my 1970 340 . I know they  show how to install Accurate exhaust system on there web site . But it's not the install on a Cuda.
Any one have some tips to make it easy ? The old exhaust was a pain to get off .
Any help would be great.

Cuda Cody

It should install the same as a Challenger, right?  Are you using stock exhaust manifolds?

gaddied

Quote from: Cuda Cody on September 16, 2018, 10:00:06 AM
It should install the same as a Challenger, right?  Are you using stock exhaust manifolds?
Every thing is a stock set up, stock exhaust manifolds . On their web site they show a charger exhaust install.
So what would be the fastest and easiest way ?
Put the mufflers and exhaust tips on first and then go froward with the pipes.
Or put the pipes on first and AFT the mufflers on last with the exhaust tips . 

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

kathyscuda

put the head pipes on with no gaskets don't tighten the bolts,you want the pipes to move a little.
then the mufflers and tail pipes.
don't tighten anything until is is were you want it.
its not rocket science.
make sure the mufflers are nice and straight.etc.
don't slide the mufflers all the way on to the pipes.
just take your time and line everything up.
after its all tight put the head pipe gaskets in.

shawge

:alan2cents: A little grease on the slip fits will help with the adjustments. 

I used some jacks with planks of wood to help keep my tti pipes tucked up while I tightened the bands.

Maybe weld in some O2 sensor bungs if there is any interest in EFI or tuning with a wide band O2 sensor in the future.

1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

gaddied

Quote from: anlauto on September 16, 2018, 01:42:04 PM
Does it use a one piece headpipe or two ?
It's dual exhaust with 2 pipes and 2 mufflers .

anlauto

Quote from: gaddied on September 16, 2018, 03:16:55 PM

Yes I realize that, but some manufactures make each pipe out of two pieces

gaddied

Quote from: anlauto on September 16, 2018, 05:39:37 PM
Quote from: gaddied on September 16, 2018, 03:16:55 PM

Yes I realize that, but some manufactures make each pipe out of two pieces
Oh , just one long pipe like the originals .

Tom Swope

If you have not previously installed an exhaust system on an e-body , some of the suggestions already mentioned will be helpful. First of all preparation is important prior to installing the headpipes , resonators , overaxle pipes and mufflers. Visit our website @ www.accurateltd.com and print out the specific diagram for the 1970 340  Cuda http://www.accurateltd.com/70-74-E-Body-Small-Block-318340360-Complete-Exhaust-Systems-_p_239.html . Your system has one piece headpipes.
Install all of the hangers. Make sure the resonator hangers are installed properly and left loose at the floor pan connection for adjustment later http://www.accurateltd.com/Hanger-Main-Support-or-Resonator-Hanger-D-755-E-Z_p_136.html . Install the s- bracket on the muffler and apply Vaseline to the bracket so it will slide easily in the rubber insulator later. Install the headpipes loosely with the gaskets, next the resonators making sure the hangers are folded downward and sliding over the outlets of the resonators then slightly snug the clamps to keep them positioned on the resonators.
Next install the overaxle pipes , slide the mufflers with s- brackets into the rear hangers and on to the over axle pipes. Install the tips and adjust everything from the rear forward and then tighten all clamps and bolts. Start the engine and check for leaks. After driving the Cuda things will settle in and adjustments and retightning may be needed. An extra pair of hands will be helpful if this is your first time. If you have any questions you can call us or email us for assistance. Hope this helps.
Tom

anlauto

gaddied

Thanks every one for your help!
This is one of the best forums I have ever been on!

gaddied

Well it all on and sounds GREAT!!!
Really like the sound of it.
Took my time and it all fit like a glove.
Thanks Again !

303 Mopar

Quote from: gaddied on September 30, 2018, 03:24:08 PM
Well it all on and sounds GREAT!!!
Really like the sound of it.
Took my time and it all fit like a glove.
Thanks Again !

I have the Accurate set up on my '69 Sport Satty convertible and agree, it sounds really good!