Main Menu

Exhaust for a stock 340?

Started by benlavigne, December 01, 2018, 09:50:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

benlavigne

I need to replace the awful Pypes glasspacks that came on my car, they sound like a japanese fartcan!
Stock 340, Stock manifolds, looking at the Accurate Magnum round mufflers w/o resonators, would an X-pipe be needed or worthwile with stock diameter pipes? What is the stock diameter, BTW?
Looking for something that sounds mellow, not too loud, will the Magnums be much louder than the stock type they also sell?
Would the stock ones sound good w/o the resos?
I've heard a lot of sound clips on YouTube, but seems most people are looking for huge sound, not necessarely refined sound...
Sound clip, don't hear much, but it does sound ''raspy'', not full... if that makes sense!

Ben

1 Wild R/T

FWIW next time I do exhaust at the very least the mufflers will be stainless....  I built my vert 22 years ago & the stock style mufflers/resonators have rusted internally enough that I'm on the third set.....  It's not like I don't drive the car enough & there certainly isn't any salt on our roads....

RUNCHARGER

I wouldn't bother with an X pipe. I can see why they went for the skinny mufflers to gain ground clearance but I bet it sounds trashy alright.
Sheldon

303 Mopar

Anytime you ask opinions on exhaust, you will get a bunch of different answers. There are several YouTube videos that can give a good idea, but it's all personal preference.

I like Dynomax Super Turbos and have Accurate on my small block in the convertible. They all sound good but the Accurate's are quieter which is what I wanted being it's a convertible.

I would recommend a 2 1/2" h-pipe because IMO x-pipe has a higher pitch like a new car.

Burdar

The Accurate system WITH resonators won't be extremely quiet.  My 318 car has a nice healthy sound at idle with the resonators.  It is quiet on the highway though.  If you delete the resonators, you'll probably have more noise on the highway then I do.

Since you're glasspacks are ahead of the rear axle, the least expensive option is to just replace them with another type of muffler.  IF you go with the Accurate mufflers, you'll have to replace the tailpipes as well.  Remember, on an E-body, the mufflers are at the back(on either side of the gas tank) and the resonators are in front of the rear axle.  A lot of people get those confused.

anlauto

Order up a complete new exhaust from Accurate and be done with it. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

340challconvert

The addition of an x pipe can be a positive in both creating an exhaust balance between the left and right sides, while giving a little extra hp and slight change of sound.
My A66 Challenger vert had an exhaust system installed by Midas and was on the car when I got it in 1979
They used stock front pipes, added the x and installed the factory resonators and mufflers.
Always had a great sound.

I would look at ACCURATE   
JMO    :alan2cents:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Burdar

It's easy to spend someone else's money.  The pipes he has on the car now look good in the pictures.(Yes, I know that aluminized pipes rust from the inside out.)  If the pipes are in good shape, there is no reason to spend the money on a complete new system.  He can put mufflers on his existing pipes and be good to go.  :alan2cents:

js27

They look old style Cherry Bomb Glass Pac's. I am running Hooker Headers with just stock mufflers and no resonators on my 440 vert. I think it sounds pretty good. U tube video's do not really give you an accurate sound. I would go to some car show or cruises and listen. Find one you like and ask the owner what they are running.
JS27

benlavigne

Thanks all for reviving this thread.
I'll probably wait for a sale on the Accurate setup, or have it delivered to Carlisle to save on duty at least...

Ben