Main Menu

Exhaust leak dilemma

Started by fireguyfire, June 26, 2021, 10:15:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I've had an annoying "put,put,put" exhaust leak in my challenger since restoring it.
I have a 383 engine, and I put stock exhaust manifolds back on it, with a full new tti exhaust system from there back with H pipe.
Anyways, I finally got some time to get into finding the leak, and it sounded like it was at the drivers side manifold where it meets the exhaust system.
Got the car up on the lift and I noticed after looking and feeling around that connection that there was some play in the gasket between the two on the engine side of the manifold; the outer side of the connection is sealed tight.
I figured I have found my leak, but when I went to fix it I realized that the exhaust pipe where it drops down from the manifold and curves under the car, is just touching up against the edge of the factory starter where the bulge is for the cable connectors.
This is preventing the exhaust pipe from rotating inward the little bit more it would need to seal up the connection between the manifold and the exhaust.

I'm now unsure what the best way to fix this is. There is no play at all in the exhaust as it is just the way the bend is in the drop pipe; the exhaust system itself fits the car perfectly (other than this issue).
I could drop the starter which would allow the inside of the connector flange to mate perfectly with the manifold, but then I suspect I won't be able to re install the starter, and even if it goes back in bit they are touching, I'm guessing I will get a rattle plus the starter would be getting some radiant heat from the exhaust.

Has anyone else had this issue, or can you suggest a solution?
I'm guessing a mini starter would solve the problem but I love the sound of those mopar starters!
I appreciate any help or suggestions you guys and gals cam give me.

1 Wild R/T

Put a mini starter on it & don't look back... :alan2cents:

Rich G.

Your only other choice is to mark where it hits the starter, take the starter out and put a bend in the pipe to clear where it hits. Pretty easy if you heat it with a torch.

Brads70

RUNCHARGER

Remove the pipe and lay a pipe on the spot where it is rubbing and hit the pipe with a 5 lb hammer to put a nice dimple in it to gain a smidge of clearance. That heat will transfer to the starter as well so you need some clearance there.
Ha, ha, I love the sound of the original starters as well. I have run the modern starters on one or two of my cars but prefer the classic sound of the originals.
BTW, this must really have you bugged, you repeat posted it about 5 or 6 times.  :D
Sheldon