Main Menu

70 cuda Factory style exhaust tips?

Started by Norcal440cuda, July 19, 2023, 04:12:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Norcal440cuda

I ended up buying the $600 NOS set off eBay. The seller cut me a "deal" for $450 plus $20 shipping. Not too bad considering the repro's are going for well over $300. While I'm on here, has anyone ever experienced the spot weld on the exhaust tip coming loose from the vibrations our cars produce? I'm sure it's never happened but I just wanted to ask.

Thanks everyone for their input.

larry4406

@Norcal440cuda - please take and post side by side pics of the NOS ones compared to the repro so we can see the subtle differences.

Cuda_mark

Quote from: larry4406 on July 21, 2023, 02:55:28 AM
@Norcal440cuda - please take and post side by side pics of the NOS ones compared to the repro so we can see the subtle differences.

Here is mine with the PGC tips vs an NOS set.

Norcal440cuda

I'll definitely take some pictures side by side for you guys. But there's definitely a big difference, in my opinion, compared to some of the aftermarket ones. As demonstrated in the picture posted above.

Mr Cuda

When this topic came up about tips, and I saw the link to the $600 pair, i almost bought them. If I knew he'd take $450, I would have for sure.
I have 2 sets that I bought back in the 80's,  to use on the "good" cars, but those aftermarket ones fit and look so bad,  I wouldn't put them on a clone.
How can PG and others get them so wrong? If it wasn't for the forum, I wouldn't have known till I  bought some, so the group pays off again.

Deezel

Wow, I didn't think there was going to be that much difference either and was just going to get an aftermarket set.
I just went and looked at the set that was on my car when I bought it and they're the originals so I'll be taking some time to clean them up to reuse.
Lonnie
1973 'cuda

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda_mark on July 21, 2023, 06:18:35 AM
Quote from: larry4406 on July 21, 2023, 02:55:28 AM

Here is mine with the PGC tips vs an NOS set.

YUUUUP :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Katfish

Hard to believe they can't get them right.
Glad the Challenger repo tips are cheap and look good.

Norcal440cuda

Well I haven't got them on the car yet, but here are some pictures of them. They are definitely different than the aftermarket. The welds are not very impressive (not surprising) but they definitely look better than the aftermarket tips. The spot welds look as they would eventually break from vibration but from what Mopar guys tell me, they shouldn't. Last picture shows the aftermarket crap that's currently on the car.

Norcal440cuda

Here are a few shots of the car.

70_440-6Cuda

I bought a set of NOS tips in the $400 rang as well......glad I did
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

anlauto

Looks like you got aftermarket larger exhaust, are you going to be able to make these tips work ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration