Main Menu

Header Options for engine break-in

Started by tparker, October 15, 2023, 04:37:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I am about ready to break in my engine and looking for some advice about header options. I borrowed some headers so I wouldn't ruin my new Dougs header during engine break in, but it turns out the passenger side doesn't seem to fit. They are off an A-body. There isn't a trick to using these, right? They just seem to big.

That leaves me with two choices, I can buy a pair from Summit or Jegs for about $250-275, or I could use the stock exhaust manifolds. The problem with the exhaust manifolds is I need a Y Pipe or the equivalent for dual exhaust. But I can't seem to find a source for these. Accurate Exhaust does sell them for a premium price and not for what I am doing. This is all just temporary and I am looking for the cheapest route.

Anyone know how easy any of the following headers are to install and don't require a 90 degree oil adaptor:

• 5901HKR hooker headers
  • Flowtech Headers 13100FLT
  • Summit Racing™ Headers SUM-G9040

============= update ==================
Never mind, solved it.

I was able to install it by going through the bottom and removing the center link and oil filter (I don't think I actually needed to do that). I thought I would have to remove the torsion bar but it just slipped by that. Ugh. The Dougs headers are much slimmer.

MoparLeo

Stock manifolds and tow to a local; muffler shop for some head pipes.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

crackedback

Header coating damage happens because the engine lacks timing during break in.

Get it started and up to rpm and crank it to 40-45* of timing.  Won't hurt a thing as there is no load.