Main Menu

Exhaust System Recommendations

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, March 11, 2022, 07:19:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Looking to put a nice set of duals on my 71 Barracuda ragtop. Still has the original 318 with manifolds in it but I'm open to changing manifolds (I despise headers so it has to be some type of factory style manifold). I do not want the chrome tips or cutout valance so the manufacturer needs to offer a turn down option. I'm open to muffler and resonator options as long as the note isn't too loud or annoying.

When I looked at TTI, they have a 2 1/2" system with down turns that looks pretty good and the price is decent. 2 1/2" is overkill considering they are connected to manifolds with 1 7/8" outlets but I can live with that if no one makes smaller pipes.

Any better options for me? I looked at Accurate but they are more concours original and don't appear to offer turn downs. I want it to look nice but I'm also not looking to pay double for a level of correctness I don't care about.

toadstool

I just ordered the TTIs, should get here in a week. They are going into stock 340 manifolds. 2 1/5" seems to be kinda the standard nowadays.
70 Cuda Convertible

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparmadman69

Hey guys,

Colby from Accurate Exhaust here. We do offer a complete 318 dual exhaust system that is based off the 71-74 340 exhaust system but sized for the factory 318 manifolds so you don't have to change out your manifolds. We do also have turndown style mufflers for e-bodies as well. I'll include a link to them below. We don't have that configuration on our website as a complete system as it's pretty uncommon but it's something that we can easily do. With our system it also includes a factory style floor pan bracket to convert it to dual exhaust. TTI does make a great product but 2.5" is a bit to much for a 318 as the engine doesn't produce enough volume to fill those pipes. Give us a call at 541-672-2661 and we can help you out on that.

https://www.accurateltd.com/E-Body-Mufflers-Turn-Down-ACM-688-TD-ACM-689-TD-Price-is-for-each-side_p_229.html

rjhjr

I put their exhaust on my 70 Challenger 318 convertible.
Perfect fitment.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: anlauto on March 11, 2022, 11:43:22 AM
Quote from: anlauto on March 11, 2022, 09:05:39 AM
@Accurate Exhaust Products do you have E Body mufflers with turn downs ?

Never hurts to ask  :twothumbsup:

Thanks for asking them and I'll call them Monday for sure. I like TTI and used them before but I've always wanted to try Accurate hoping for a more authentic exhaust note. My TTI was a bit loud and droney but it was a 3" pipe so that might have been the big factor there. Glad to hear Accurate might have what I want. Guess I should have just called.