Main Menu

Header bolts, has anyone seen something like this for small blocks?

Started by FSHTAIL, February 01, 2022, 01:02:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

So I'm looking around for some header bolts, the stock ones are kind of ridiculous in regards to clearance around my hooker Pro Comp headers, I lost two of the damn bolts in the floor drain. 

Has anyone seen anything like this that will fit the small block?

I can't seem to find anything. 
I don't have the car near me to grab a bolt and measure it, but I believe the ones pictured are larger for say, maybe the big block?

I'm not 100% certain on the size I need, I also don't trust these drop-down menus saying that it will fit your car
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

7212Mopar

I use stage 8 locking fastener for headers. Summit has them and they also carry their own version that locks differently. Made out of stainless steel. On for two years now and never get loose. No leaks.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

anlauto

Those are cool, but what motor take 7/8" header bolts  :rubeyes:  That's a LARGE bolt  :o
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FSHTAIL

Quote from: 7212Mopar on February 01, 2022, 06:53:52 PM
I use stage 8 locking fastener for headers. Summit has them and they also carry their own version that locks differently. Made out of stainless steel. On for two years now and never get loose. No leaks.

Wouldn't stainless bolts into cast iron cause an issue eventually?

FSHTAIL

Quote from: anlauto on February 01, 2022, 07:04:37 PM
Those are cool, but what motor take 7/8" header bolts  :rubeyes:  That's a LARGE bolt  :o

That's the length of them

anlauto

Quote from: FSHTAIL on February 02, 2022, 02:52:12 AM
Quote from: anlauto on February 01, 2022, 07:04:37 PM

That's the length of them

Odd way to advertise them :drunk: ...Are they 5/16 thread ? Would that not work for a Mopar ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bullitt-

Quote from: FSHTAIL on February 02, 2022, 02:48:18 AM

I had heard of issues but didn't know the specifics ... Folks here really run down SS hardware
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/stainless-steel-fastener-anything-aware-251420/
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

gzig5

Stainless fasteners are significantly weaker than carbon steel bolts in my experience. You are way more likely to spin the tool on the head or shear the bolt if it sticks.  If clearance were an issue I would use a grade 8 cap screw, no reason to mess with the external hex head.  That design in the picture is neither fish nor fowl.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/75521088

Local hardware or farm store should have them, or order online.

70vert

Quote from: gzig5 on February 02, 2022, 07:01:05 AM
Stainless fasteners are significantly weaker than carbon steel bolts in my experience. You are way more likely to spin the tool on the head or shear the bolt if it sticks.  If clearance were an issue I would use a grade 8 cap screw, no reason to mess with the external hex head.  That design in the picture is neither fish nor fowl.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/75521088

Local hardware or farm store should have them, or order online.

Wow, $26 for 100! Maybe set up a "group buy", I'd get a set just to have around (:

7212Mopar

Quote from: FSHTAIL on February 02, 2022, 02:48:18 AM

I am running after market aluminum heads that comes with SS thread insert. To repair thread damage in steel or CI, SS thread insert is used all the time right? Steel and CI can rust together too, especially threads exposed to coolant in the factory heads. May be use anti-seize compound on the threads.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

HP2

Liberal use of black moly paste on stinless fasteners during installation will prevent them from seizing in carbon steel.