Main Menu

One More Exhaust Question

Started by Daveh, January 24, 2018, 01:28:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

As some of you have seen I'm installing my exhaust on the Challenger.  The exhaust tip is the same diameter as the exhaust pipe. It is chromed stainless.  I installed TTI headers and their exhaust kit.

2 questions:

1. Will the stainless tip expand without cracking so I can put it over the exhaust pipe? Like I said they are the same diameter as the exhaust pipe so it doesn't need much.

2. Should I just expand the exhaust pipe and put the tip in the exhaust pipe and band clamp it?

Thanks Dave

Cuda Cody

I would work with the exhaust pipe since it's much easier to fix or replace if something goes wrong.  Leave the tips "as is" and work with the pipe to make it all work.   :alan2cents:

moparmadman69

Cody is right. If you have all the right machinery, metal is good quality and you are extremely careful the stainless can still split. Trust me I have done it many times working with stainless tips and tubing and I do this on a daily basis. The aluminized tubing will be much more forgiving. Expand your tail pipe to 2.50" ID slide the tip into it and use a muffler clamp (the kind with the saddle and U-bolt) and some grey RTV if you want and your done.   :cheers:

Daveh

I figured you were going to say that.  That's what I was leaning towards also. I always overthink it.  Thanks