Main Menu

Ebodies.org missing members?

Started by Spikedog08, May 31, 2017, 08:06:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Spikedog08

So when you look at the stats for the site, it shows a total of 471 members but if you look farther down the page towards the bottom, it shows in 2017 there were over 500 members join?  So where did the 50 some members go?   

:thinking:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

303 Mopar

Spikedog08

Quote from: 303 Mopar on May 31, 2017, 08:08:59 AM
spammers?   :notsure:

Hmmm I don't think we have banned over 50 spammers  . . . less than 10 from what I can recall.  It shows we have 524 members join in 2017 and 11 in 2016 for a total of (let me do the math) . . . 535 total members! 

1 Wild R/T

Cuda Cody

Yes, you guessed right.   They were spammers who I deleted.  Or maybe a more correct term would be Bots.  These Bots sign up and try to harvest information from members.

When we get a new member the IP address they use to sign up goes through a Spam Check IP program and gets double checked against a forum IP Blacklist.  Those programs let me know if the person is real or a Bot.  All the Bots get deleted as we don't need them here stealing our members info without them knowing.  But depending on what stage in the sign up process they get detected and deleted, some of them counted towards the totals.  That is the difference you're seeing in the real total and the higher total.

I would guess the program catches about 50% before they get in and and about 48% after they get through.  So 98% of the members here are real and not Bots.  Even if some of those members do not post, they are at least interested in E-Bodies and want to be part of this awesome group.   :grouphug:

If a forum is not using an IP Spam Check or Blacklist check it will look like there is thousands of more members then there really are and the real members info could be at risk.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 31, 2017, 08:42:50 AM
So 98% of the members here are real and not Bots.

So that leaves 2% of you who are not real. Let's have a game to guess who is not real.   :thinking:

1 Wild R/T

I am NOTABOT......  Should I change my screen name to NOTABOT?    :rofl:

Spikedog08

Well that answers that . . . Good to know!   :bigthumb:

ec_co

Quote from: 303 Mopar on May 31, 2017, 10:03:52 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 31, 2017, 08:42:50 AM
So 98% of the members here are real and not Bots.

So that leaves 2% of you who are not real. Let's have a game to guess who is not real.   :thinking:

Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Burdar

QuoteI am NOTABOT......  Should I change my screen name to NOTABOT?

That's exactly what a Bot would say.  :thinking:

jimynick

Quote from: Burdar on May 31, 2017, 12:08:21 PM
QuoteI am NOTABOT......  Should I change my screen name to NOTABOT?

That's exactly what a Bot would say.  :thinking:
Damned if you do and damned if you don't I reckon.  :D
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Spikedog08

500 actual members TODAY! 

:grouphug:   :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

Cuda Cody

Rev-It-Up

Wow! We are growing very quickly! Because it's a FREAKIN' AWESOME SITE! Thanks Cody!
Rev-It-Up

MoparDave

Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/