Main Menu

When did you first realize you were addicted to cars ?

Started by Roadman, October 03, 2017, 04:32:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Moparman82

Three days before my sixth birthday, grandparents were at my house and I told them I don't want dinosaurs anymore, I want cars for my birthday, and my grandfather was on board immediately lol. He was one of the founding fathers of the NHRA, and he owned several race cars in the 30s, Troy Ruttman drove for him
Looking for the right 70 Cuda project!

I have a nephew who has always loved cars since born , I bought him a 67 440 when he was 4-1/2 yo, thanks 303 Mopar !
He will be 6 yo in Feb , hope to find an orange Cuda one day to put it in and work with him on it . At least I have some time to save up some money.

Brads70

Hotwheels ...... might be the source/start of my addiction, like most everyone else.  :) When they got old and " used up" I would put them in a vice  and crush and hammer them up to look like wrecks, then line them up in rows  just like at the wrecking yard. ( usually did that to the "non hotwheels" ) and play for hours with them.

My Dad had a 69 Coronet . Just a 318 but I can remember him changing plugs giving it a tune up then going for a drive to " blow some carbon out" as he would say. I remember watching that speedo get to 100 mph. Pretty exciting as a kid. ( don't worry back roads up in farm country , no traffic)

My stepfather bought a brand new 71 Challenger and a new Chrysler bow rider boat, I have many fond memories with that car, drive ins, camping, road trips, towing the boat and sitting in a dingy while he scuba dived etc....  I remember the fake alligator skin covered 8 track case and looking at the tapes he had, Don Mclean -American pie, Guess Who, etc....

Around 12-13 up at the family farm my Uncle gave me a rusted out 72 Fargo, it was so bad if you leaned on it you might fall thru, but he had only one rule, stay off the paved roads. No licence, insurance, just me , that old Dodge and a trail of dust from the dirt roads..... Tried to do a Dukes of Hazzard jump across a small creek.... didn't end well, blew out the windshield and had to walk back to get the tractor to pull it out.  Back then locals just towed their used up vehicles to the back 40 at the farm, I remember discovering them while hunting ground hogs, sitting in them wondering what it would have been like to drive them. Cars/trucks from the 30's to the 70's  Sure miss those times, less rules, total freedom to just "live"

HP_Cuda

Funny we have a theme around Hotwheels cars and growing up with the "bug".

I attribute it to my grandfather who was racing his model T down Hollywood boulevard and not getting caught. It's in the genes.

:stayinlane:

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

GoodysGotaCuda

Also raised with hot wheels. We went to many car shows going up, I remember a somewhat beat up Porsche 944 my dad had for a brief period. He slammed through a few gears on an on-ramp and I recall wanting a manual transmission car ever since.

I'm 30 now and have had some fun cars in the ten that I have had. My daily is a fun turbo Subaru WRX, I've daily driven a manual for the past four three vehicles over 8 years. I'll always be into cars.

My 22 month old daughter plays with her hot wheels and loves to "go" as much as I do [emoji106][emoji106]

After a fun few hours of playing with nuts, bolts, masking tape and other things, we took the 'Cuda to sonic for a drink yesterday [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dodj

July, 1977. I was working on a golf course and I saw a white 'cuda. It was an awesome cool car. I don't even remember what year it was. From then on I was a Mopar guy. Which is also why my Challenger is white.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

jimynick

Boy, we all seem to share many attributes relating to cars and our love of them, eh? My actual earliest memory is me standing on the seat of my dad's '36 Dodge coupe stock car that my mother was driving like the hounds of hell were chasing her down a gravel road. She tells me that based on when dad totalled the car, that I'd've been between 2-3. This all fit in with the fact that my paternal grandfather also owned a Dodge Chrysler dealership at that time and both he and his dad, not to mention mine, were all licenced mechanics and could fix anything on wheels. My dad used to jokingly say that my first word was "carburetor". I grew up in a Chrysler garage and have been a Mopar guy all my life. I can remember the miles of woodgrain and chrome on the dash of grampa's new 54 Desoto and riding in the '44 Dodge waterproofed PowerWagon that they'd bought in a crate as war surplus, as my dad ran it into Colpoy's Bay to push the big rocks up against the cottage boathouse, etc. I got into models and slot cars and remember Bill Maverick coming across the street to Dundas Hobbies to see and actually race my slot car Little Red Wagon when he was in London at Western Tire with the real LRW and on and on. It's been a great addiction and I've managed to pass it on to my sons, who've picked up, if not the torch, then the wrench, to carry our family's love affair with cars on.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"