Main Menu

Wheel treatment

Started by Plumcrazzy, April 04, 2019, 05:43:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

Quote from: Plumcrazzy on April 10, 2019, 06:29:01 PM
Thanks MEK Dangerous for the link to the wheels---helped a lot. I pulled out my window sticker and determined that my wheels are 20" x 9" and are supposed to be polished aluminum faces with Black pockets. They are however, painted all Black. If you check out the link that MEK provided above you can see the wheel. It is called a Hellcat style wheel 20" x 9". I would like to know if the finish on the wheels is actual paint or something like powder coat because-------I am considering trying to remove the paint ONLY on the flat surfaces of the face of the wheel in an attempt to uncover the polished aluminum surface. Would try to use my die grinders with "flapper" wheels (for better control) to remove the paint then repolish the bare aluminum with a felt bob and compound. Thought about using some type of chemical stripper but am afraid it would migrate into the pockets and ruin the finish in the pockets. Sound like a decent plan? Suggestions? Thoughts? Jump in.

This is why I suggested trying lacquer thinner on the face of the spokes. Looks like your wheels were repainted?

Plumcrazzy

This is how this project played out. Wheels are powder coated. Used a 240 grit flapper wheel at lowest speed I could manage and removed the coating on a small section of the face of the wheel. There was a white layer (primer powder coat?) under the Black top coat. Got the coatings removed down to the bare alloy. The alloy was not very smooth at all and it had a lot of very small little pin prick type holes all over the surface. I kind of think that the manufacturer wasn't at all concerned about the finish because the powder coat filled in all the imperfections. I didn't consider the surface to be receptive to polishing at all. Blended the edges of the powder coat then scuff sanded the flat faces of the wheels with 400 grit. Wiped the surfaces down with thinner and used a Jet brush to apply a coat of Bright Silver Metallic One Shot pin striping enamel to the flat surface. Used a small rag dampened with  thinner around my finger and wiped the edges of the wheel pockets to clean up the edges. Let it cure for 24hrs then masked the rotors by stuffing newspaper in against the rotors. Sprayed a couple of mist coats of clear coat then wiped the over spray out of the pockets with rags and thinner. Looks pretty good and I will have to wait to find out about the durability. Still looks better than those all Black wheels. Just too "old school" for that all Black look.