Main Menu

70 Hemi Cuda

Started by 704406, January 13, 2022, 12:14:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Does anyone on this site own or know who owns a 70 Hemi Cuda BS23R0B219183? It was sold new near Winnipeg Manitoba. I owned and restored this Cuda in the late 80's early 90's when it had 6500 miles on it, and I have some pictures and I know the history of it from 1970 until I sold it in 1991 here in Victoria BC Canada. It was sold at Barrett Jackson around 2001 I think, it ended up in Minnesota around 2004 and I talked to the owner at that time, he had no idea of the Cuda's history. I see it sold at Barrett Jackson again in January 2018.
I'm not trying to buy it, or hassle anybody just wondering if the current owner wants to know it's early history, it apparently was drag raced in North Dakota in 1971 and possibly 1972 in full Sox and Martin paint colors.

Smallblock340

No idea who owns BS23R0B219183, but it is a beautiful Hemi Cuda!  :twothumbsup:
Before the car was sold at Barrett Jackson in 2018 (odometer 7,325), it was sold at National Muscle Cars (odometer 7,242).

For more pictures see: https://nationalmusclecars.com/sold/1970-plymouth-hemi-cuda
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

cuda hunter

Do you happen to have any pictures of it dressed up in it's race gear? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Cuda_mark

It looks exactly like Ralph Barbagallo's car

@cuda hunter Yes I have pictures of it with the sox and Martin red white and blue paint. I'll try to post them later.
The Cuda came with a vinyl top from factory and was removed by the first owner, I could see the holes in the deck were braised over when I stripped the paint, and found remnants around the rear window trim.
It also had a roll bar installed, fortunately only bolted thru the floor, and easily removable, although the carpet was ruined front and back.
I only found about a 2" piece of the broadcast sheet, the top corner taped to the top of the clove box.
Also had a Dana rear added with a home made 4 link suspension which I removed and installed a correct year 8 3/4 rear end.

Here's a picture from 1971 possibly early 1972 which I got from the original owners mother
It may have also be raced in Minnesota as it was based outside of Winnipeg Manitoba.
@cuda hunter

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

That looks awesome! 
Pretty cool to have restored a car with that kind of provenance. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Thanks @anlauto no idea why the picture didn't come out as I posted it thanks for correcting it.
Now if only I could find the current owner if he's interested in the history of a Canadian Cuda.
It is quite a story. I was the first one to actually legally register the Cuda in 1989, that's a long story all by itself!

anlauto

You're welcome, it's a great picture :wowzers:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

And it's an awesome story so far about the car. 
Love to hear more about the steps of the car. 
First time it got registered was in 89?   
Wow  19 years and not registered.  That's pretty cool in itself. 

@cuda hunter
I'm not sure that this is the proper place for this story, it's long and involved. Like all great Mopar stories! The original owner died in an accident in the spring of 1973. In 1988 I contacted the other name on the car and our first conversation he was helpful, said he knew where some of the missing parts were, but our second phone call he was mad and told me semi politely to f##k off. I have no idea what happened, but he did say he wanted the Cuda from the estate but he didn't get it so maybe that explains his attitude.
Supposedly Ray Barton had a hand in building the engine when he was first starting out in Montreal Quebec before he moved to the USA. I saw his name on some paperwork that came with the car
I had the Cuda in a magazine Called Muscle Cars (Schneider Performance Series) in May of 1990 as one of the contributors lived in Victoria at the time.
Maybe there is another more suitable place for me to tell the story? Suggestions?

cuda hunter

This is the "general topics" section. 
Since the story is about the car in question I would think this would indeed be the most appropriate place.
Who knows, the owner might show up.  All they have to do is google their vin and they will see this webpage.

cuda hunter

Or not.  I just googled the vin number that I copied from your first post and googled it.
Google did not bring up ebodies.org.  Anyone know why that would be the case? 
But i will say that this car has several results.