Main Menu

Door top trim restoration

Started by Crash520, August 29, 2022, 05:18:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Crash520

Hi Team
My door top alloy trim has some minor scratches that have marked the anodising, what are people doing in restoration of these trims? Are you having them stripped cleaned up and re clear coat anodised  or simply removing the anodising and polishing them??
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

7E-Bodies

Cody did some nice video work on trim restoration in our video section.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Cuda_mark

Quote from: Crash520 on August 29, 2022, 05:18:56 PM
Hi Team
My door top alloy trim has some minor scratches that have marked the anodising, what are people doing in restoration of these trims? Are you having them stripped cleaned up and re clear coat anodised  or simply removing the anodising and polishing them??

I had mine re-anodized.

70/6chall

I have SE trim on my Slant6 70 Challenger. It's a lot of trim to attend to keeping it shiny and free of hazing or fogging. When I had the car repainted a few years back, I removed all of this trim replaced broken fasteners when needed. I took all the trim to a professional metal plater and polisher who did a great job on these pieces. Removed dings, dents, scratches and such. I must be into self abuse because I did not have anything anodized but yet I keep everything looking great. My advice is go the stretch and have your aluminum and stainless trim anodized. Sometimes it's a real drudge but it looks so nice when it's done.Thanks,   Al

anlauto

Unfortunately Challenger is easier to restore then Cuda, Challenger can just be polished, where Cuda need to be re-anodized  :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Crash520

Soooo no one out here does Bright Anodising out here 😩, so it's strip and polish, not really what I wanted to do sadly
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Floyd

@Crash520

Marshall LaCross restored some 70 Challenger 1/4 moldings for me.  Stripped, buffed, re-anodized.  He did nice work for a reasonable price.

https://www.facebook.com/mandmmetalfinishing

70_440-6Cuda

Previous owner filled all the holes on my '70 'Cuda and there is no belt line trim - anyone have a photo of the top of the door / quarter without the trim installed?  Trying to determine what it looks like and how the molding / clips mount - hoping it is just a matter of drilling out some holes and mounting the trim.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

6bblgt

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on September 21, 2022, 09:19:38 AM
Previous owner filled all the holes on my '70 'Cuda and there is no belt line trim - anyone have a photo of the top of the door / quarter without the trim installed?  Trying to determine what it looks like and how the molding / clips mount - hoping it is just a matter of drilling out some holes and mounting the trim.

have you posted your sheet and/or VIN?  there is a group of late September/early October '69 "scheduled" 'cudas (BS) that for some reason did not receive the STANDARD - M31 - "belt mouldings"

70_440-6Cuda

Broadcast sheet has scheduled build date of June 12, 1970, and calls for beltline molding.  Unfortunately my car went through a very '90s style rebuild and all of the moldings were shaved off and a bunch of very wrong parts installed like a billet lower grill  :looney:

I have most of what I need to return it to stock, just wondering what I will be getting into on the install for the belt line molding.  On the tail panel, I can see where they filled the holes from inside the trunk, so should not bee too difficult for that one.  I have not started disassembling everything just yet so not sure on the doors / quarters or what to look for.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

B5fourspeed

My September  built Cuda did not have the holes for the belt trim.I added the trim because I like the look.I purchased the trim from Dales Cuda Shop.I also like the look of the stainless steel trim because it matches the drip rail trim and the vinyl top trim.

Crash520

My door tops and quarter tops have the T studs that the clips attach to, I can take a pic later, the very rear of the door top trim has a stud and nut so the doors have a small hole
Greg
Brisbane
Australia