Main Menu

Amazing find in Canada.

Started by js27, May 22, 2020, 04:49:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cudamadd

This stuff is amazing we can only imagine .

cuda hunter

this video shows how the oceans changed from 200MYA to current day.  When you see the 70 to 60 in the left lower corner you can see the time that I am looking for shark fossils up here in the mountains.  Of course the mountains were not mountains yet.
They were small hills with large volcano's.  And delta's , Like Florida where dinosaurs roamed and Trex literally walked on the ocean shore here in Colorado.  The fossils I was looking for the other day were much older than what js27 is looking for down in South Carolina at 20,000 years compared to my 66,000,000 years ago.

Cool video.  You can fast forward it so you don't have to be so bored. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yKNhbY3Nbk
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

I watched the videos - thanks, but my comment was directed to the posted pics
@cuda hunter  & @js27 may know what "WE" are looking at  :thinking: what about the rest of us, comments and/or descriptions would help - even if it was just in the picture's title  :alan2cents:

js27

@6bblgt  #1 are sting ray teeth and mouth plate--#2 a bunch of different shark teeth--#3 a 5" Megalodon tooth or 1/2 of one--#4 are Ear bones ( whale-dolphin)--5 vertebrate ( not sure what from)--6 Vertebra--7 More shark teeth and ear bones and vertabrate-the long black piece is a rib from a Dugong (like a Manatee)--8 large Meg tooth-9 some type of clam shell-10--unknown bone ? I do not know to much about identify fossils but I do like finding them. cuda hunter is the man to ask.
JS27

js27

@cuda hunter -I am not sure what the big bone is. I had a couple of local guys look at it and I got different answers. Some type of whale bone maybe ? Here are 2 more pictures if it helps. Thanks for the video links I will check them out. The coolest thing about finding fossils is that you are the first human to touch something that is Millions of years old. That is a neat feeling.
JS27

js27

This is how I found the 1/2 of the 5" Megalodon tooth after a heavy rain--then a ray tooth embedded in some coral and a 6" intact clam shell. These shells are very hard to find intact because they are so thin. It took about 1 hour of slowly digging around it to keep it whole.
JS27

cuda hunter

Those are some awesome fossils.  The two clam shells are phenomenal!  Very cool! 

Here are the teeth that I found the other day.  Well, mostly the wife found. I was very intent on finding a specific fossil there.  I was looking for a pyratized ammonite baculites.  We found two small ones about 12 years ago there so I know they are there but I had no success in finding one. 
  These fossils are very small and pale in comparison to your megalodon teeth. In this time period we didn't have sharks as large as the mighty megalodon.  But we did have mososaurs, icthiosaurs, and pleiosaurs !!  rare and hard to find, even teeth. 

Also, a few links to provide a little more info on the shell crushing sharks. 
1. http://oceansofkansas.com/Ptychodus2.html
2. https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Ptychodus-latissimus-A-C-D-SMU-76251-B-SMU-75591-E-F-G-H-SMU-76431-I-R-SMU_fig1_296314709
3. http://chalk.discoveringfossils.co.uk/5%20Ptychodus.htm
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

Quote from: js27 on May 24, 2020, 09:37:32 AM
@cuda hunter -I am not sure what the big bone is. I had a couple of local guys look at it and I got different answers. Some type of whale bone maybe ? Here are 2 more pictures if it helps. Thanks for the video links I will check them out. The coolest thing about finding fossils is that you are the first human to touch something that is Millions of years old. That is a neat feeling.
JS27

This bone looks to be a very decomposed whale vertebrae.  I say that due to the second picture. Of course not being able to put hands on it makes a difference on diagnosis.  Also keep in mind that any whale that was on the ocean floor would have been scavenged quite well by the many sea bottom dwellers.  Not to mention the whale could have died from being eaten by sharks.

Whales are mammals whom evolved from a wolf type creature according to fossil records.  So their vertebrae will look very similar to our 4 legged mammal verts.

cuda hunter

Just for reference here is a link to a whale being scavenged. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZzQhiNQXxU

There would have been several other types of scavengers that do not exist any more as well as what you see in this video.

The bones themselves would have been dissolved by several different types of bacteria so it's quite hard to find full fossils. 
The bone eating snotworm.  3.30 into the video.  Also known as Osedax. 

js27

@cuda hunter  Your teeth are great. I noticed some are very shiny--do you polish them? Some almost look like Gem Stones.I have a ton of small shark teeth also. There are Megs-Mako-Sand Shark-Lemon  and Goblin Shark. I have lots to learn about identifying them. I read about a guy who only collect what he calls micro fossils. Stuff that most hunters do even see because they only look for the big stuff. He had some pretty cool things. Are you on Facebook ? I belong to a page called East Coast Fossils. It is a pretty cool site no politics just fossils. Lots of cool fines get posted. Thanks for all the video links--now I am retired I will have time to watch them all :).

Not sure if you know about Vito Bertucci but here is a google like about him-

https://www.google.com/search?q=vito+bertucci&oq=Vito+Be&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0j46l2j0l4.9900j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks Again
JS27