Main Menu

Any Connecticut Members?

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, April 22, 2019, 01:45:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Hoping a member from Connecticut can help me out here. I'm looking at a car out there and in speaking with the owner, I asked about the title being in his name and not a "Salvage" title. Normal questions. He told me that in Connecticut, the registration is the title and they no longer have separate titles issued on the cars.

This strikes me as odd to say the least. When I go to the dmv for Connecticut, the website states titles are not issued on cars over 20 years old. What should I be aware of? I'm a little hesitant to buy a car without a title.

JS29

@70 challenger lover, In New York state, ONLY vehicles 1973 and up get titles. You get a transferable registration on vehicles 1972 and older.  I photo copy mine, and it's legal to do so. Because if someone steels my car the registration/title is not in the car. You should have no problem at your local DMV transferring it over to you.   :alan2cents:

djw383

I am in CT, I registered my 71 and the DMV clerk was a car guy and realized the value of the title. So, he registered my car and handed the title back to me as a souvenir as it is no longer needed. Otherwise he would have thrown it out and I would have not received a new one.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: djw383 on April 22, 2019, 03:54:24 PM
I am in CT, I registered my 71 and the DMV clerk was a car guy and realized the value of the title. So, he registered my car and handed the title back to me as a souvenir as it is no longer needed. Otherwise he would have thrown it out and I would have not received a new one.

The seller sent me a picture of the current reg. and I was going to check with the local AAA office about any potential transfer issues to Ca. I guess it should be fine but it just feels weird to me.

torredcuda

I`m in New Hampshire which also does not issues titles on vehicles 1999 or older but I can still apply and get one. All that is needed to register is a bill of sale and a vin verification done by a LEO or licensed inspection station. Obviuosly check with your DMV as to how they handle that and maybe have the police run the vin to make sure it`s not stolen, liens etc.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: torredcuda on April 23, 2019, 08:05:22 AM
I`m in New Hampshire which also does not issues titles on vehicles 1999 or older but I can still apply and get one. All that is needed to register is a bill of sale and a vin verification done by a LEO or licensed inspection station. Obviuosly check with your DMV as to how they handle that and maybe have the police run the vin to make sure it`s not stolen, liens etc.

I'm looking into that now. I had concerns but the more I look into and here from others, it doesn't seem like a big deal after all. Hoping to get a plane ticket soon to go see it.