Main Menu

Any idea what these are

Started by usraptor, March 02, 2017, 06:55:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

In anticipation of my Cuda going to the body shop, the last few days I was going through my parts tots looking for small pieces that also needed to be painted body color when I ran across these items.  The car was partially dis-assembled when I bought it and they came in boxes with all the misc parts.  So far I haven't been able to figure out what they are.  The first parts look to me like trunk hinges, but they definitely aren't to my trunk.  The second item is painted the same color my car was when I bought it (lemon twist yellow), but I can't figure what it is either.  At first I thought it might be the flywheel/clutch  inspection cover but I found that and this doesn't have enough screw holes anyway.  On the inside it almost looks like it has a fitting for a small light or something??  It's pot metal also, not stamped metal.  Any ideas out there? :clueless: :dunno:

Cuda Cody

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

anlauto

First ones look like running board brackets for a pickup truck  :alan2cents:

Second one could be some aftermarket third brake light housing for the roof of a van. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bills Auto Works

The brackets look to me like they could be radiator hold downs. They would bolt on the core support & the rubber nipples from the insulators would go in the oblong holes. Just a guess!
Bill
YOUR QUALITY MOPAR TRANSPORTER SINCE 1983!

usraptor

Bill, that's an idea.  I'll check it out. Thanks

anlauto

Well they are certainly no part of an E Body :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fc7cuda

Quote from: anlauto on March 03, 2017, 03:57:24 AM
Well they are certainly no part of an E Body :alan2cents:

:iagree:

I think you'd be ok not including them in the parts needing body color, but if you want to throw them in to be safe - no harm.   :alan2cents:

XeGnome

Could those brackets be some kind of "home grown" drive shaft loop or gas tank straps?

RUNCHARGER

I've seen those braces and that molded piece before but I just can't place them. The spot welds on the braces are confusing me too. Anyway it's safe to say they don't belong on an E-body.
Sheldon

usraptor

I'm 90% sure I solved the mystery of the brackets.  They're VW bug engine hood brackets.  What they were doing in my boxes of parts I have no idea! But after seeing some pictures of VWs engines with their hoods up, they look just like them. 

YYZ

So anlauto was close - the yellow housing is a licence plate lamp housing for an air cooled VW Beetle

1970s would be my guess (Super Beetle?)

6bblgt

I should've known, my brother & I were working on Dad's '66 last week  :banana:

usraptor

Quote from: YYZ on March 27, 2017, 05:37:02 PM
So anlauto was close - the yellow housing is a licence plate lamp housing for an air cooled VW Beetle

1970s would be my guess (Super Beetle?)

That makes sense!   :bigthumb:

61K T/A