Main Menu

Anyone have info on the 71 Sox and Martin Cuda

Started by Sparxx, November 18, 2019, 08:32:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Sparxx

I've been a big fan of the Sox and Martin 71 'Cuda ever since I first seen it. Honestly think the car has a great stance and just looks mean.
My questions are
1. What was the rear suspension setup they had on these?

2. What size tires are on the rear?

3. Was it tubbed/minitubbed?

I like to give my Challenger this look.

303 Mopar

Tubbed, custom springs with drag shocks, narrowed Dana 60. Unless you have a strip only car, I would not install this setup. It will be virtually impossible to drive on the street.

headejm

HP2

1. In the day, these used what was called a leaf link suspension mounted in the stock location. It was leaf springs with the front section clamped solid, no clamps on the rear section, and a special floating housing with parallel tubular shock mounts that allowed pinion angle to remain constant through suspension travel. There are details on it in the Mopar Chassis book.

2.Rear tires were roughly 31x12x15 on 10" wide wheels. There were some fractional differences in size between Firestone, Goodyear, and M&H.

3. Because it was an evolution of super stock, even though it was labeled as Pro, no tubing was allowed the first couple of years. Hence, the tires hanging out everywhere. In 1972 the rules all changed and these cars immediately became obsolete.

The low ride height was no biggy on the strip because the suspension lifted the whole car under acceleration, so no tire interference occurred. On a street car that cycles up and down, that big of a tire would get hammered pretty badly. You certainly would have to narrow it down some to avoid cutting the tire