Main Menu

Are there any Viper owners on the site? Second-Gen GTS preferred...

Started by ViperMan, May 08, 2017, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ViperMan

Yeah, I know - there are at least 2 big-name Viper forums out there, but I basically never frequent them because whenever I DO ask questions, I either catch sh!t for not knowing already, or get instructed to spend $150+ on an annual membership to access "members only" areas of the forum(s).  I ain't got time for that!!!

So I'll try here!

I have a 2000 GTS Coupe.  On the passenger side, the little decorative screen near the windshield is actually the intake for the air conditioner, as you likely know.  The A/C box itself has a drain for water that may get in.  However, I noticed the other day when I was washing the car with the hood up, that there is also a small hole through the hood itself that allows water to drain from the area around the A/C inlet.

On the driver's side, that cover is just decoration, and for YEARS, it's been a pain in the butt trying to get water out of that little recess whenever I wash the car.  So when I saw that there was a small drain through the hood on the passenger side, I checked, and sure enough there's an obvious location for a hole on the driver's side, but it looks like mine was never drilled out.

So I'm wondering if that's ALL Gen 2 Vipers, or if somehow mine missed that little step in the build process!  Of course the last thing I want to do is take a drill to a Gen II hood, but I might be able to open it with a dremel or something just to get the water off the hood!

If anyone who has one could pop their hood and see if there's a small hole (looks like maybe 3/8" or so) right about where the arrow below is pointing, I'd appreciate it!

ViperMan

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

RUNCHARGER

I'm no help: However I wish we would get a bit of sun so I can take mine for a rip.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I wouldn't even think twice just put a small hole there & be done  :bigthumb:
Alan doesn't even own an E body  so why is he here ?

anlauto

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 08, 2017, 12:09:35 PM

That's what I keep asking myself everyday :haha:

Cuda Cody

I can check when I get home.  The 2002 Gen II I have now I bought new and I think I remember them also catching water and needing to blow the water out with air.  But I'll look at mine when I get home and let you know if there's a hole.

Want to see a happy kid with a rare Viper Build Sheet?  That photo was taken 15 years ago.   :Thud:   Had to get a friend to sneak it under the seat (along with the travels pack) because they did not put any Build Sheets with Vipers.  It's the only one I've ever seen for a Viper.

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 08, 2017, 12:09:35 PM
I wouldn't even think twice just put a small hole there & be done  :bigthumb:

:rofl: :haha: :veryexcited: :rofl: :haha:

Cuda Cody

@ViperMan  There is a factory hole in mine....   :bigthumb:

ViperMan

Chryco Psycho