Previous topic Next topic

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on October 26, 2017, 06:54:52 PM
I can't say..... I never sell anything  :rofl:

Hahaha!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

HP2

Quote from: Blake@diyhemi.com on October 26, 2017, 06:32:02 PM
I'm having troubles even getting bites or inquiries on the 74 Dart I listed last weekend. I priced the car at average NADA value of $9,000 with little interest. People are asking $5,000-$7,500 for project cars in worse shape down here.

So I dropped the price to $8,200 and still not much activity. One guy is looking at it this weekend but I don't have high hopes.

Here is the ad, is there something I'm missing? https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/cto/d/1974-dodge-dart-swinger-360/6356560801.html?lang=en&cc=us

I had one offer of $6,500 and one $7,000, both sight unseen internet messages ( no faith in them being serious)

Am I crazy to think a heavily optioned 74 Swinger in good driver shape with fresh engine and interior and all the things listed is worth $8,200 US?

Heck, my complete project of a barn find Barracuda cost almost that much.

Well, it is a very bad time of the year to move a more pedestrian car like a '74 and a Swinger, re; my post above. It lacks the desirable year range and performance pedigree to create high demand. Nothing against your car, but for a lot of people, even non mopar buyers, anything post '72 already has a huge strike against it and it is, after all, not a Barracuda.

To critique the car, it does have several issues that would detract from a  book valuation of it for many buyers. The description doesn't seem to indicate a rebuilt engine, simply an inspection, regasket, and repaint, and the repaint is over obviously aftermarket parts.  Maybe add some compression numbers to solidify the claim if it is indeed a rebuild. The black engine bay, especially where all the wiring and mounted parts are also painted, kills it for A LOT of mopar buyers. It gives it a feel that if you couldn't take the time to do the engine bay properly, what else is hiding under new paint elsewhere on the car. The partial roof strip and other non factory finish on other items, like the grill, and modified rear wheel openings also can be big turn offs. Again see the perception statement above. Unfortunately your list of new items doesn't carry much more weight than operation old pieces as most of these are consumables that will need replaced several times over a car's life. I suspect for some buyers, they look at it not at it not necessarily as a running car, but a resto project and all the corrections(cost) necessary to make it stock will cost more than its worth.

It is a overall a fair looking car, but once you get into deviations from stock with paint and body mods, you significantly reduce the number of interested buyers or the  price potential it will get.

Blake@diyhemi.com

Oh I'm not offended at all. I bought the car with the roof stripe, engine bay and body mods exactly as it is. All I did was rebuild it mechanically and try to correct previous owner mistakes within reason. I tried to replicate a factory engine without breaking the bank. The purpose of the car was to flip, not to perfect and keep like my E body.

I don't agree with the roof stripe, but it was easier to repaint as is than to repaint and blend the B5 into the quarters. I looked at it strictly as an investment.

I would break even at a really low price, lower than my asking. But the fact of the matter is, a clean drivable Mopar with a nice power train is worth more than a rolling project.

This car will never be a collectors dream, I get it. I knew that going into the investment. But all my A body research says I'm below the threshold on value for a decent driver.

My emotional attachment is about as much as buying a pair of socks, I assure you. I just wanted to earn money, through hard work, to put towards my hemi Barracuda.

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

303 Mopar

Quote from: HP2 on October 27, 2017, 08:09:19 AM
I'm having troubles even getting bites or inquiries on the 74 Dart I listed last weekend. I priced the car at average NADA value of $9,000 with little interest. People are asking $5,000-$7,500 for project cars in worse shape down here.

So I dropped the price to $8,200 and still not much activity. One guy is looking at it this weekend but I don't have high hopes.

Here is the ad, is there something I'm missing? https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/cto/d/1974-dodge-dart-swinger-360/6356560801.html?lang=en&cc=us

I had one offer of $6,500 and one $7,000, both sight unseen internet messages ( no faith in them being serious)

Am I crazy to think a heavily optioned 74 Swinger in good driver shape with fresh engine and interior and all the things listed is worth $8,200 US?

Well, it is a very bad time of the year to move a more pedestrian car like a '74 and a Swinger, re; my post above. It lacks the desirable year range and performance pedigree to create high demand. Nothing against your car, but for a lot of people, even non mopar buyers, anything post '72 already has a huge strike against it and it is, after all, not a Barracuda.

To critique the car, it does have several issues that would detract from a  book valuation of it for many buyers. The description doesn't seem to indicate a rebuilt engine, simply an inspection, regasket, and repaint, and the repaint is over obviously aftermarket parts.  Maybe add some compression numbers to solidify the claim if it is indeed a rebuild. The black engine bay, especially where all the wiring and mounted parts are also painted, kills it for A LOT of mopar buyers. It gives it a feel that if you couldn't take the time to do the engine bay properly, what else is hiding under new paint elsewhere on the car. The partial roof strip and other non factory finish on other items, like the grill, and modified rear wheel openings also can be big turn offs. Again see the perception statement above. Unfortunately your list of new items doesn't carry much more weight than operation old pieces as most of these are consumables that will need replaced several times over a car's life. I suspect for some buyers, they look at it not at it not necessarily as a running car, but a resto project and all the corrections(cost) necessary to make it stock will cost more than its worth.

It is a overall a fair looking car, but once you get into deviations from stock with paint and body mods, you significantly reduce the number of interested buyers or the  price potential it will get.

I would have taken the $6500 or $7000, if it was a legit offer.

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: 303 Mopar on October 27, 2017, 09:31:52 AM
Quote from: HP2 on October 27, 2017, 08:09:19 AM

I would have taken the $6500 or $7000, if it was a legit offer.

Reread, it wasn't legit.

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

dave73

Never really thought there was a "perfect time" to sell. I bought my challenger in the winter, snow on the ground. I've bought other cars in the summer, if it's what I want I'm in. You'll always have those people who wait until Spring rolls around to post their car up for sale hoping someone is looking forward to enjoying the upcoming nicer weather.

However, I do think there is a good time to buy. A lot times you see winter approaching and cars pop up for sale; people don't want to store them, lost storage space etc. Happens a lot with boats but you see it with classic cars as well. Just my 2 cents

HP2

I think you may be sitting on it for a while. The notchback cars just aren't as popular as the fastback one. A comparable year Duster or Dart Sport in that condition at that price might sell for close to your asking price. You just don't see many Scamps, Swingers, and notch back later model Darts going for that much. Obviously Chargers, Cuda and Challengers will be that much or more.

If you have improved it over what it was and have wiggle room on your price, then it might be a decent flip for you.