Main Menu

Is It Time (to sell)?

Started by 71vert340, June 12, 2019, 08:58:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Obviously your undecided whether to sell it or not. Coming into a forum and asking for advice isn't going to help much because we don't "know" you. The people here can only give you advice based upon their own personal experiences. You need to keep the car until the day comes that you look at it and say to yourself   "Thats it. Sell the SOB NOW !! "

YellowThumper

Alan
Years as most don't get complete at the speed of light like yours do.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Katfish

Quote from: YellowThumper on June 13, 2019, 03:21:09 PM
Alan
Years as most don't get complete at the speed of light like yours do.

What would be the restoration time on a $75-$100k investment?

anlauto

I would say any restoration shop in North America should be able to do a full ground up restoration in 12 months, 18 months tops. I know what ErikR's going to say, because his took 24 months....but I would say 18 is a solid average.

"They" say the average restoration is 1000 hours and there's 2000 hours in a year (working hours) :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ledphoot

We are all here on borrowed time... The car is a material possession that you have many great memories with. Whether you own the car or not the memories will always remain. With that said...

Do your kids want the car? Is there somebody in your family that would like to retain it for the sentimental value? If I were in your shoes that is what I would be considering.

At some point we will all be faced with this kind of decision, right now the choice is yours to make.. At some point it will be somebody else's... Just something to consider.

aussiemark

Quote from: CudamanTom on June 12, 2019, 10:08:49 AM
Haul it on a trailer to the shows so you don't have to worry about other drivers.
If you don't need the money or space, don't sell it. You'll wished you didn't later if you do.
Even this method isn't fool proof trailers can jack knife, car could roll off the trailer or get damaged going on or coming off.

challengermaniac

An interesting discussion.  Certainly comes down to the current and restored value guesstimates, one's health and passion.  If the goal of restoring the car is to net more from selling, I would recommend selling in the current condition to avoid the time and energy spent while keeping in mind there will be more competitive perspective buyers in its unrestored condition = affordability.  As to health, it would seam completing a restoration of a classic would be ill advised for those not in good physical, mental, emotional and financial health.  And to passion, I just love walking into my garage to view the many different angles of my classics, sitting in them and sharing them with family and friends even though I currently drive them less than 100 miles per year and thus, turning them into cash definitely won't provide that same experience. If you don't need the money or have another positive use for it, let that be your guide.
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

anlauto

Quote from: aussiemark on June 14, 2019, 07:31:08 AM
Quote from: CudamanTom on June 12, 2019, 10:08:49 AM
Haul it on a trailer to the shows so you don't have to worry about other drivers.
If you don't need the money or space, don't sell it. You'll wished you didn't later if you do.
Even this method isn't fool proof trailers can jack knife, car could roll off the trailer or get damaged going on or coming off.

...and you could cross the street and get hit by a bus...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

torredcuda

Some people are happy to just have an old car in their garage but to most of us the enjoyment is driving them. I think it`s normal for any of us to be nervous about driving our old cars in todays traffic but if you are afraid to the point you don`t even take it out it might be time to sell. As far as restoring it I agree that why go thru that process just to sell, I would just sell it as is and be done.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Katfish

From a strictly financial standpoint, why would you tie up $75k-$100k for 2-3yrs?
If you have that much liquidity, good for you.  But if not, taking out a loan and investing money and your time, just doesn't seem to add up.

The more i think about, the only way it makes sense to restore it, is if you plan to keep and enjoy it.
But it sounds like the enjoyment is gone, so why dump more money and emotional investment.