Main Menu

Calling all front end alignment experts ... need some help (not an E-body)

Started by RzeroB, December 04, 2019, 01:47:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RzeroB

Need some help diagnosing an alignment issue. It's not an E-body ... it's my kid's Chevy HHR (I know, I know). 

The HHR has a typical coil-over-strut with a lower wishbone front suspension. Replaced the front struts, had new tires installed and the front end aligned by Dobbs Automotive (a big chain store here in the St Louis area).

The car now constantly drifts to the left.

Before I had the struts and tires replaced the car tracked perfectly straight down the road. Therefore, I think I can dismiss the idea of a brake issue affecting how the car tracks.

Returned the car to Dobbs. They checked the alignment and stated that everything was "within specs". The car still constantly drifts left ... it's annoying to drive and I'm not happy with it.

I know what caster, camber and toe are ... but what I don't know is "effect" of adjusting each one. From what I can gather caster is the adjustment that has the greatest impact on stability and I interpret that to include "drift".

Take a look at the chart of alignment specifications. As the shop said, everything appears to be within specs. I noticed that there is a 0.6 difference between the left and right caster settings. Seems insignificant to me? Is it? Now look at the "cross-caster" setting of 0.7. It says the range is -0.8 to 0.8 so 0.7 seems to be near one of the limits. Don't know if that's a possible issue or not? Is it?

So what do you front end alignment experts see? What should I tell the shop to adjust the settings to? Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time!
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Oldschool

Swap the front tires from right to left and left to right. The pull will either go unchanged, or go away. The specs look good, so I would suspect a radial tire pull.

JS29

Swap the front tires around, Then see if it pulls to the right. might be a bad tire.  :alan2cents: Had that happen before.

Chryco Psycho

MY bet is they only measured the alignment & did Not adjust it at all as there is no Before info added  so it should track the same , Tire would be the main suspect .
Most strut suspension has virtually no caster adjustment available as you have to move the top of the strut rearward & quite a lot to make a significant change .
Camber has adjustment on some cars , often between the spindle & strut with slots or sometimes in the lower control arm bushing , again often it is minimal but this is the most likely to cause the pull to the left .