Main Menu

Changing front seats to electric

Started by 1Burgfish, March 09, 2019, 07:10:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1Burgfish

:wrenching: OK need help from all out there; I am trying to change my front seats to electric power. Has anyone done this with their car? I have a set of electric seat mechanisms from a 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee and I am going to modify the frame to fit the Cuda seats. My issue is the wiring part/harness switches?  Any help or pics would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You in advance. :thinking:

BIGSHCLUNK

I like the idea  :ohyeah:  The BIG concern is will the seats fit low enough in the car?  :notsure:

ToxicWolf

I put the 6 way seats in and had to take them back out because I was too tall for them in my 70 Challenger. Set them in the car and sit in them before you go to all the trouble of installing them.  Just a suggestion.  :wave:

BIGSHCLUNK

I'd follow Toxic's advice... I'm 6-1 there's not allot of room above my head with the top up (70). There wasn't a bunch when I was riding in @blown motor 's car (73-74?)when we were in Florida.   

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Height won't be a problem for me because I have a chopped frame / Low rider!!! :D I would need to figure out the electrical part of it how to wire the thing....

BIGSHCLUNK

I would guess coming from an older ride it should not be that complicated. (per se) Meaning a switch is a switch not like late model care where everything is circuit board.  I'd venture to guess a switched hot and a constant hot. Basically lots of reverse polarity switching. I just went thru that circus with that Chinese tire machine I have. Put the track on your workbench bust out the spare battery an let the party begin  :wrenching:  Easier to make a test rig OUT of the car. 

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Will do BIGSHCLUNK just have to modify the original Cuda seat bottom frame to make the Jeep seat mechanism fit. Just need to work out the electrical part out as far as getting power to the system.

RUNCHARGER

I imagine if the switch is on the side of the seat you just need a medium power supply with a circuit breaker in it.
Sheldon

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Thanks RUNCHARGER I am going to experiment with it and  :fingerscrossed: I won't burn anything in the process.

chargerdon

I put an electric seat mechanism from a 1992 jeep cherokee into my 74 challenger.   The electric was no problem as the seat track came with a functioning 6way switch so all i had to do was give it ground from the track, and a 12Volt source from the fuse panel, and put in an inline fuse.   No big deal.

Mating the track to the seat frame was a LOT of work fabricating a bracket that allowed the power track to basically sit inside of the seat frame to keep the height down.   I ended up being about 1/2 inch higher at full bottom than it was with the manual track.  Im 6'1" and still have adequate head clearance...biggest non-like is that the front of the seat sits too high in relation to the steering wheel..  Tough slide in.

Sorry, i didn't take any pictures.   The purpose of the power seat is to allow my 5'5" wife to be able to see and drive the car.