Main Menu

Did Dodge just get suckered?

Started by 70vert, September 15, 2022, 04:07:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70vert

Now that Ford has débuted the 2024 ICE Mustang, I'm sure they are laughing, and no doubt will sell a butt-load of them (assuming they can produce)! I mean they may have the market all to themselves thru 2030+   :crying:

It will be interesting to see if there are "clarifications" from Dodge. I mean it was smart to stake their claim to EV Performance but I think surely they will continue selling ICE models. I'm sure it is difficult change-over but still.

PLY474

I said to my wife, maybe Dodge is doing the Kiss Farewell Tour I, II, III, etc marketing plan.  Haha.  (We fell for it and bought a Scat Pack Challenger today). 

chargerdon

Quote from: 70vert on September 15, 2022, 04:07:51 PM
Now that Ford has débuted the 2024 ICE Mustang, I'm sure they are laughing, and no doubt will sell a butt-load of them (assuming they can produce)! I mean they may have the market all to themselves thru 2030+   :crying:

It will be interesting to see if there are "clarifications" from Dodge. I mean it was smart to stake their claim to EV Performance but I think surely they will continue selling ICE models. I'm sure it is difficult change-over but still.

The issue is the pending CAFE requirements. 2025 requirement is 54.5 Miles per gallon.   Dodge and Chrysler cars are all BIG with gas engines that cant possibly meet that standard.   They do not have ANY compacts...the exception is the new Stinger but it wont meet 54.5 MPG either.   So Dodge is basically facing either go home or change to EV.    Ford, on the other hand already have a large number of compact SUV's and all are being electrified, because of this Ford can keep the Mustang as an ICE car.   GM is basically close to Ford but...simply speaking the Camaro doesnt sell enough cars to warrant keeping it...especially when the have the Corvette.   

It will be interesting to see if Ford is able to sell ICE Mustangs in three or four years, when the BEV performance vehicles can blow its doors off easily.    Ill bet that by 2026-2027 time frame the new BEV Challenger/Charger outsells the Mustang.   

Mark_B

Quote from: chargerdon on September 16, 2022, 06:03:50 AM
It will be interesting to see if Ford is able to sell ICE Mustangs in three or four years, when the BEV performance vehicles can blow its doors off easily.    Ill bet that by 2026-2027 time frame the new BEV Challenger/Charger outsells the Mustang.

I think they'll have a full order book.  It's not just about speed, it's the drama (noise, smell etc) of owning an ICE car.  And most battery powered car's don't handle particularly well at the moment, due to their weight.

70vert

I think Ford will sell a butt-load of ICE Mustangs for as long as they want. Currently the clamor is not about speed, as @Mark_B said it is the desire for engine roar, smell, supercharger whine, nitrous ports, etc. but also about style. Honestly the vast majority of current EV are just plain ugly. Of course that should change with new Chrysler EV Performance cars, but we'll see.

@chargerdon Good point, I don't stay up to day on CAFE requirements and impact. That is unfortunate if CDJR had their eye off the future and found themselves without any small/high mpg vehicles. How do the mpg requirements get calculated, by brand, size, parent company? Seems that would make it hard to run a company if you can't have a division focused in a certain area.

chargerdon

Quote from: 70vert on September 16, 2022, 10:43:47 AM
I think Ford will sell a butt-load of ICE Mustangs for as long as they want. Currently the clamor is not about speed, as @Mark_B said it is the desire for engine roar, smell, supercharger whine, nitrous ports, etc. but also about style. Honestly the vast majority of current EV are just plain ugly. Of course that should change with new Chrysler EV Performance cars, but we'll see.

@chargerdon Good point, I don't stay up to day on CAFE requirements and impact. That is unfortunate if CDJR had their eye off the future and found themselves without any small/high mpg vehicles. How do the mpg requirements get calculated, by brand, size, parent company? Seems that would make it hard to run a company if you can't have a division focused in a certain area.

My understanding is that it is a "fleet" average for all Automobiles...i.e cars and suv all included.    Trucks and vehicles considered trucks fall into a different category, and i'm not sure how an SUV under the Jeep nameplate is considered...but...i do know that jeep is electrifying most all of their vehicles as at least a drivetrain option.   

Now, that being said, there would have been nothing stopping Dodge from just adding to the current Charger and Challenger BEV options...   But, remember this, the chassis/frame combo for both of those go back to pre 1998 use of the Mercedes existing chassis right after Mercedes bought Chrysler.    As such it is a 24+ year old design.   Even tho it is a fantastic car it is heavy compared to the Mustang or Camaro do to this chassis and as such the Auto Magazines such as Motortrend hammer it for not being as good a "track" car as the new Mustangs and Camaros.   Dumb Jackasses that they are !!   Ill bet not one of us have ever brought our cars to say Laguna Seca road course.   On our highways at even better than 30MPH over the speed limits they handle just great.   Don't believe me...realize this...the current Challenger outsells the current Mustangs and Camaros combined.   Race cars is not what we want.   However,  I believe they felt that it would be better to modernize the car itself not just the drivetrain.    Oh well...