Main Menu

Did you tube / google change the algorithm ?

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, February 25, 2022, 06:56:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

Not this this is a BIG deal, more of a curiosity on my part. Like a few other"s here I have a VERY SMALL you tube channel. I know some of you have seen a few of my video's. Anyway , I have one video that just exploded! Since FEB 4th I've had over 10,000 views on the channel- according to you tube. And the video with most hits (2924 this morning) is from 2019. So not a "new" one by any means. I'm good with it, but it just seems odd. This is not a cinematic masterpiece by any means. Educate me....  :notsure:  :notsure:  :notsure: 

72hemi

The YouTube algorithm is always changing, and YouTube recently came out and admitted that it's a good idea to create what they call evergreen content because often videos don't trigger the algorithm for months or years after they have been released. So creating videos that are relevant more than just today is a great plan for long term growth and sustaining your channel. I've noticed recently videos that I posted over 6 months ago are starting to see more and more viewership.

What's your channel?
Life's too short to drive boring cars

JH27N0B

I have no idea how things work there.  I was talking to Ryan, Auto Archeologist here, once about his channel where he releases a bunch of barn finds type videos. He gets a decent number of views but not a ton.  He said some channels show inflated views because apparently you can buy a bunch of views from online sources.  I'm sure you didn't do that.
There's a car guy in Indiana who had a concours AAR and did a Phantasm cuda recreation who does some very well produced and interesting videos under the "Rudy's world" channel and I'm sorry and disappointed to see his videos don't seem to get many views or subscribers. So I don't understand at all how videos do or don't get popular!

Bullitt-

My guess is someone with a significant following on social media has linked to your video..
There's a button titled ANALIYICS below & right of a video that may reveal something. 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Cuda_mark

@BIGSHCLUNK  All I know is that the experimental hemi heads video showed up on my main page right at the top last week. It looked super interesting so I had to watch it.

Wayne

It use to be if you made 1 video a week that would push your videos more in the suggested feeds from what I read....  Now it seems it takes 2 videos a week or more.  At first I didn't care about it.  This year I thought I would try 1 video a week and see how it goes.  Haven't really noticed much of a change in subscribers really. 

I have seen some car channels that make 2-3 videos a week....they have a lot more subscribers than I do but not to be critical of some of them but their video quality and sometimes even content is not great.  Only thing I can think of is making more videos is the key  now. 
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

headejm

Can someone educate me on YouTube? I watch a lot of videos (don't produce any) and they all want me to subscribe and like. I assume they get paid for # of subscribers and # of likes. How much money 💰 are we talking about? Just curious.

Wayne

A channel has to have 1,000 subscribers before they can earn money.  If you have a few thousand subscribers though....you won't be earning much.  On the other end of the spectrum...if you have north of 100,000 - 250k you can get close to making a career from it.  If you have a million or more....well you get the idea
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

72hemi

Quote from: headejm on February 25, 2022, 08:03:31 AM
Can someone educate me on YouTube? I watch a lot of videos (don't produce any) and they all want me to subscribe and like. I assume they get paid for # of subscribers and # of likes. How much money 💰 are we talking about? Just curious.

The reason we ask for people to subscribe is to increase the pool of folks that will see our videos when we post them beyond just those the YouTube algorithm suggests our videos to. From a monetization standpoint it doesn't matter if we have 1,000 subscribers (the minimum number required to be eligible for monetization) or a million. The pay scale is based on the type of videos produced. As for asking for people to like videos that is a bit of a mystery. It is believed that increasing the number of likes on a video help trigger the YouTube algorithm to show the video to more people. There may be some truth to that, but nothing confirmed. What it confirmed is retention rate impacts whether or not YouTube shows your videos to more people. If you have a 10 minute video and 90% of the people who watch turn it off after 30 seconds, YouTube isn't likely going to continue to recommend that video.

As for how much money we are talking about: for automotive related content I am making roughly $5 per thousand views on my channel Life at Speed. The top paid channels are the finance related content channels and can make up to I think $40 per thousand views. I believe on the low end some types of channels only make about $0.25 per thousand views.

72hemi

Quote from: JH27N0B on February 25, 2022, 07:21:11 AM
I have no idea how things work there.  I was talking to Ryan, Auto Archeologist here, once about his channel where he releases a bunch of barn finds type videos. He gets a decent number of views but not a ton.  He said some channels show inflated views because apparently you can buy a bunch of views from online sources.  I'm sure you didn't do that.
There's a car guy in Indiana who had a concours AAR and did a Phantasm cuda recreation who does some very well produced and interesting videos under the "Rudy's world" channel and I'm sorry and disappointed to see his videos don't seem to get many views or subscribers. So I don't understand at all how videos do or don't get popular!

That is true, you can buy subscribers, likes, views, etc, but YouTube is getting better about finding those and deleting them, and in some cases YouTube will close a channel that is proven to do as it violates their community guidelines.

72hemi

Quote from: Wayne on February 25, 2022, 07:39:46 AM
It use to be if you made 1 video a week that would push your videos more in the suggested feeds from what I read....  Now it seems it takes 2 videos a week or more.  At first I didn't care about it.  This year I thought I would try 1 video a week and see how it goes.  Haven't really noticed much of a change in subscribers really. 

I have seen some car channels that make 2-3 videos a week....they have a lot more subscribers than I do but not to be critical of some of them but their video quality and sometimes even content is not great.  Only thing I can think of is making more videos is the key  now.

Yes and no. Consistency and quality of content are what matters most. I used to upload 3 videos a week and did so for about a year and a half, and then about 6 months ago dropped down to 2 videos a week and actually saw an increase in views per video and my channel as a whole. I agree there are definitely larger channels out there that I cannot for the life of me figure out how they've gotten where they have, but that's for YouTube to know and me to figure out somehow I guess. The biggest thing is to continue to be consistent on your upload schedule (whether that's one video a month, week, multiple videos a week or daily) and strive to make each video better than the previous.

BIGSHCLUNK

72hemi , the channel is BIGSHCLUNK... just like here.

I saw the $$$ discussion - 1000 subscribers AND 4000 hours watched is the minimum. That sure the H is not my channel.

Yes on the 'likes" and "subs"... I get that. BUT things by me just exploded one day. I'm nowhere near 100 subs, so 1000.... NOT

And as for frequent posting..... I post when I feel like it. I have a "job" and other interests (not to mention another channel). That takes up my time. Add family / friends, well you get the idea.

I do appreciate anyone who has watched,subbed, liked (thank you).... but 1+1 do not equal 3. I'm just trying to figure the logic here. My last video - MOPARFEST 2019 WAS POSTED JAN 7TH....not really what I would call new.  :notsure:  anyway like I said just curious. Something had to trigger this .....  :thinking:

72hemi

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on February 25, 2022, 09:30:40 AM
72hemi , the channel is BIGSHCLUNK... just like here.

I saw the $$$ discussion - 1000 subscribers AND 4000 hours watched is the minimum. That sure the H is not my channel.

Yes on the 'likes" and "subs"... I get that. BUT things by me just exploded one day. I'm nowhere near 100 subs, so 1000.... NOT

And as for frequent posting..... I post when I feel like it. I have a "job" and other interests (not to mention another channel). That takes up my time. Add family / friends, well you get the idea.

I do appreciate anyone who has watched,subbed, liked (thank you).... but 1+1 do not equal 3. I'm just trying to figure the logic here. My last video - MOPARFEST 2019 WAS POSTED JAN 7TH....not really what I would call new.  :notsure:  anyway like I said just curious. Something had to trigger this .....  :thinking:

Trying to figure out the algorithm will only hurt your brain. I've tried and it's a black box that is constantly changing. I've had videos explode over night and other do nothing for months, to see an increase in viewership months after posting. The weirdest one I had recently was my videos on SEMA. The first video I posted Tuesday night of SEMA took off immediately and now has roughly 34k views, but my video on day two of SEMA that posted Thursday midday still barely has 1k views.

tparker

I don't have a lot of insight into how Youtube's algorithm works but it is based on recommendations based on what other people watch. So it is possible there was a video that you put out has similar content to some other videos that are somewhat popular. It would them recommend your video to people who watch that one. This could bbe bbecause a fair amount of people who watched your videos also watched this other video. It's a networking thing.

72hemi

Quote from: tparker on February 25, 2022, 10:36:01 AM
I don't have a lot of insight into how Youtube's algorithm works but it is based on recommendations based on what other people watch. So it is possible there was a video that you put out has similar content to some other videos that are somewhat popular. It would them recommend your video to people who watch that one. This could bbe bbecause a fair amount of people who watched your videos also watched this other video. It's a networking thing.

That is a possibility as well. The algorithm works in mysterious ways. For example checking my analytics for search terms used to find one of my Nash Bridges videos is "space cowboy" and I have no idea how that makes any sense.