Main Menu

First haul, any car trailering advice?

Started by JH27N0B, September 08, 2022, 04:59:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

How about a few pics.

The yellow straps are ones  I purchased from carlisle vendor.  no open hooks. Flat closeable
The middle ones with the hooks are the typical ranch store purchase. Crappy.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Blowout

Those blue & red straps that cuda hunter has in his picture are great. I use those and it makes strapping a car down much easier.

JH27N0B

Maybe there will be a strap vendor at the show next week I can get a new set from.
This will be a learning experience for sure.
I'm wondering about mirrors.  For my 25 mile tow to storage, I kept them in their regular position like you see in the picture.  Driving on local roads I thought I saw beside both sides of the trailer OK.
My friend drives his 2500 pulling his 30' keeping them in that position too, and disparages folding them out calling that "moose antlers".
The only reason I'm wary of folding them out is that I find the convex mirror most useful when driving. The main mirror makes cars driving 100' behind look like they are in your blind spot!
The convex mirrors aren't powered on my trucks trim level (just Laramies I think) and I've got no one riding shotgun to reach out and help tweak the passenger side convex mirror for me.  I know from driving my vintage cars the passenger mirror not being where I want it always drives me nuts.  I'm thinking of the trucks convex mirror driving me nuts for 400 miles, tweeking it every time I stop for gas and then getting back in the highway and it still will be off.  Does towing with "moose antlers" increase the visibility much or not with a 24'?

cuda hunter

Moose ears are better.  The more mirror ability the better.  Those moose ears have saved me from several bad incidents.

RUNCHARGER

I use a tape measure and measure rear bumper height of my truck before attaching a trailer, then I measure again when it is loaded, I like it dropping 2 inches but for sure make sure it is lower.
If the mirrors work for you that way great. I tow an enclosed 24' several hundred miles a week in a Chev truck and I absolutely hate it's mirrors, the only way I can see the back of the trailer is on the curves.
Kick the trailer tires everytime you stop.
I set the brakes so it stops like it isn't pulling a trailer. The truck shouldn't be braking the trailer and the trailer shouldn't be braking the truck.
Sheldon

anlauto

Lots of great advice on here....I'm certain you'll do fine, just don't over think it...make smart decisions first....stay calm and alert when driving...in 99% of the cases, your issues will be with other drivers cutting in front of you, etc...If you get in your head, and stress out the entire drive, not only will you not enjoy the show, fearing the 4 hour trip home, but you'll likely never do it again... :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration