Main Menu

Forty years ago today, November 14th 1977

Started by 1 Wild R/T, November 14, 2017, 02:31:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

I arrived at Worm Island NTC/RTC San Diego

70/6chall

I spent time at the same place Randy, not in November of '77 but in January 1968. I was 21 years old at that time.       Thanks,   Al

Cudakiller70

Thank you Sir for your sacrifice and service!
1977 sure doesn't seem like it was 40 years ago.
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer to the end you get the faster it goes. Redneck wisdom.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on November 14, 2017, 05:14:22 PM
Thank you Sir for your sacrifice and service!
1977 sure doesn't seem like it was 40 years ago.
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer to the end you get the faster it goes. Redneck wisdom.

Your welcome, I agree it's gone by pretty quickly & your Redneck wisdom has proven to be true....

J-Code Jeni

Great pictures! Thank you for your service and all you sacrificed to serve. :unitedstates:

1 Wild R/T

Sacrificed to Serve?  I saw things lots of amazing things most folks never get a chance to see, I received training & experience, I met lots of great people a few who are still friends to this day...

Yes I was exposed to hazards but that's something many servicemen of my generation experienced... It hasn't killed me yet... Maybe someday but not yet..

Mickm

To all of you who have served, I salute you and thank you for your service and sacrifices. This nation owes everyone who serves a great debt of gratitude.
Unfortunately, many today do not realize the price of freedom.

May God bless you for your efforts!

Cheers!
Mickm

J-Code Jeni

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 14, 2017, 07:42:36 PM
Sacrificed to Serve?  I saw things lots of amazing things most folks never get a chance to see, I received training & experience, I met lots of great people a few who are still friends to this day...

Yes I was exposed to hazards but that's something many servicemen of my generation experienced... It hasn't killed me yet... Maybe someday but not yet..

@1 Wild R/T , I just meant the life events, holidays, etc you missed with your family & friends during the time you served. The things you experienced while in service and those you met sound wonderful- good for you!! Thanks for sharing such a special anniversary with us.

1 Wild R/T

Jeni, now that you mention it missing Thanksgiving & Christmas while in Boot camp & all the other holidays & family events, yeah they were a sacrifice but overall I'd say it was a trade friends & family time for exploring the world....  Diving coral reefs, climbing big rocky cliffs, drinking in sleazy bars.. :haha: All the things a growing boy needs....  Yes there was ridiculously long hours on duty, lousy pay, a radioactive island, missed concerts cause the ship was underway...  But honestly I have way more good memories than bad....   And I suspect most other guys who served feel the same way...

HP_Cuda

Hey Wild

Were you at the Bikini Atolls? Possibly the Marshall islands?

I hear it's still too radioactive for it's prior residents to return.

B
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

1 Wild R/T

Spent 90 days TDY to Enewetak Atoll, we were supposed to clean it up & make it safe for the islanders return..... Didn't work up that way... Mostly I was able to avoid the dirtiest areas, the guys running heavy equipment didn't have that luxury.....