Main Menu

High cost of parts...

Started by anlauto, October 17, 2022, 07:01:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Just doing some paperwork this morning on some incoming parts...

I order a Cuda front bumper from Classic Industries: Regular price $289.99 but I took advantage of a sale and got it for $260.99 USD :banana:

MY TOTAL COST in CDN dollars after everything is said and done.... $626.14 CDN  That's a whopping 240%  :o more..... that's getting a little crazy... :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

What ran the price up so high besides exchange rate?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: blown motor on October 17, 2022, 07:09:01 AM
What ran the price up so high besides exchange rate?

Shipping a large part international ain't cheap

YYZ

That's a little over $400 including exchange and HST

Yes, CBI would charge a couple of extra bucks for oversize, but where did the rest come from?

Or did you get it shipped directly to you?

ebodyproducts

Quote from: anlauto on October 17, 2022, 07:01:11 AM

I order a Cuda front bumper from Classic Industries: Regular price $289.99 but I took advantage of a sale and got it for $260.99 USD :banana:

MY TOTAL COST in CDN dollars after everything is said and done.... $626.14 CDN  That's a whopping 240%  :o more..... that's getting a little crazy... :pullinghair:

That's insane!!!
E-Body Products
www.ebodyproducts.com
606-481-9014

anlauto

Shipping to CBI in New York is an option, but you have to calculate the 4-5 hours of my time going there, and dealing with the border, and paying taxes anyways...

Shipping to my door was $102.30 USD or $144.54 CDN
Taxes and duties were $71.25 CDN total
UPS brokerage fee was $41.58 CDN total

Bumper was $260.99 USD which equals $368.77 CDN when paying with a VISA with a currency exchange rate of 1.41295 :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Swamp Donkey

I'm dreading the last few items I need for my car for this exact same reason.  Biggest items are a complete interior including seats, a procharger and rims.  Plus a ton of miscellaneous smaller items.  Oh and maybe glass!
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

anlauto

cudamadd

Shipping is just outrageous. $65 u.s dollar ebody.  Wiper washer bottle . Land all up $ 187.00  Aussie dollars .I guess it's the love of the hobby.  But it must been hard for someone like Alan who restores cars . Bring back the good old days. :australia:

anlauto

I certainly don't envy you guys living overseas, I can't imagine what member BAM has invested in shipping costs alone on his build... :bigmoney:

Jay Bee

I order a Cuda front bumper from Classic Industries:
MY TOTAL COST in CDN dollars after everything is said and done.... $626.14 CDN

If it's any consolation it's still cheaper than getting a core re-chromed at Cambridge Custom Chrome. A very small consolation indeed.

As for CBI, they also charge storage on oversize items from the moment it arrives there.

Lambethdave

I just got a right rear quarter for a 70 challenger .. they are hard to find in AMD right now .. l got one already in Canada.. AMD price is $399 l paid $1187 Canadian for it .. l always pick up my parts stateside but there were none to get so l was thankful to get it all.. all that extra dough is shipping and brokerage l am glad that is probably the second time in my life l had stuff shipped over the border..

dodj

Glad I live close to the MN border. I would have that bumper in my hands for about $200 -$250 less.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on October 17, 2022, 04:31:30 PM

Glad I live close to the MN border. I would have that bumper in my hands for about $200 -$250 less.
Like I said, I could ship it to Buffalo but you still have to pay shipping within the US, and unless you're willing to sneak it across the border or stay over there 48 hours, you're still paying tax  :dunno: , so yea, there are ways to save a few bucks I guess...I don't think $250

Mopsquad

When I was restoring my '65 Mustang in the early 2000's and I was living in Calgary, the Canadian dollar was hovering 62-65 cents USD.  That was rough ordering from the US.