Main Menu

How bad are Bugs where you live when you go cruisin when it's warm?

Started by Topcat, December 16, 2017, 07:30:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

Out here they are practically non existent.  :)

I can drive all day out in the back 40...(Gilroy) without getting bug crap all over the grille and windshield.

A few places I recall in the past where it was really bad when I drove:

Clear Lake, CA. Freakin giant looking Mosqitoes or whatever they were just plastered my car in a very short time.

Driving thru Missouri. By far the worst I had ever seen. 
In 10-20 miles I could barely see out the window.   :unbelievable:
The car looked like it got slimmed.  :o 

How bad is it where you live?

What do you do to prevent bug juice all over your grille? 
Just not drive?
A bra? 

That would just drive me crazy if I had to clean a 71' Cuda grille every time I went out.

Chryco Psycho

HR738

June bugs.... sting when they bounce off the mirror and hit you in the face ......

These were from the trip back from Mopars in the Park in MN last year.

It was like a paintball match.....

Topcat

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 16, 2017, 07:42:48 PM
What bugs ?? :notsure:
occaisional moth at night  :panama:

Go North to Costa Rica and it's a different world.
Drove at night and the road was crawling.

Quote from: HR738 on December 16, 2017, 08:14:58 PM
June bugs.... sting when they bounce off the mirror and hit you in the face ......

These were from the trip back from Mopars in the Park in MN last year.

It was like a paintball match.....

Been there done that...

No Thank you!

I was stationed in Maryland. Like a Grasshopper swarm.
Walking to work and get hit in the face.  ::)

70/6chall

I recall several years back here in SoCal. Was driving the Dodge back from a car show in Yucaipa Ca. It was a very nice hot afternoon while driving on the I-10 back to Riverside. While on the freeway heading West through Redlands Ca. I encountered a bee swarm, I believe a Queen was moving her hive across the freeway, and at 70 mph I was totally plastered with bees. I pulled off freeway and found the front of the Dodge covered with dead bees and HONEY. Talk about a sticky mess, found a close by hand car wash and had the attendants spend a little time washing all the sweet off.
         Thanks,   Al

Squire Edgar

They're probably Midges, they are abundant around Klamath Lake Oregon. They are harmless but disgusting.

Topcat

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/lifestyle/2006/06/04/Splatter-gories-Those-bugs-on-your-windshield-can-tell-volumes-about-our-environment/stories/200606040158

The lovebug swarms reach their highest concentration between 10 a.m. and noon each day and rarely fly after dusk, so if you want to avoid these, travel at night.

They're so bad that car washes in some states may charge $4 to $5 more in the summer. If they're not removed right away, the fluid from the remains can damage paint. Build-up on the radiator also can cause the car to overheat.

Some motorists spread a light film of baby oil over the front of the hood and grill to prevent lovebugs from sticking so much. Dr. Hostetler has teamed with Prestone, which offers a wiper fluid called "Bug Wash" to promote his book and the study of insects.

Dakota

Bugs are not much of an issue around Buffalo.   Along the Niagara River during the summer, there was a "bloom" of flying critters (sand flies?) which lasted a couple of days that would stuck to anything passing through (like me on my bicycle), but otherwise we don't see much.

dodj

There are a lot of black flies and mosquito's up here in northern Ontario,  but for the most part they are in the bush, not the open road so not much of an issue for cruising here.
Unfortunately, it does create an issue  in May and June when mosquito and black fly populations are high. The moose come out to the road to escape the bugs in the bush, and running into one of those brutes (done that) really ruins your day,  and your car. More often than not, totalled.

Although you can claim the moose and have a freezer full of meat if you are so inclined.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Quote from: Topcat on December 16, 2017, 11:02:32 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/life/lifestyle/2006/06/04/Splatter-gories-Those-bugs-on-your-windshield-can-tell-volumes-about-our-environment/stories/200606040158

The lovebug swarms reach their highest concentration between 10 a.m. and noon each day and rarely fly after dusk, so if you want to avoid these, travel at night.

They're so bad that car washes in some states may charge $4 to $5 more in the summer. If they're not removed right away, the fluid from the remains can damage paint. Build-up on the radiator also can cause the car to overheat.

Some motorists spread a light film of baby oil over the front of the hood and grill to prevent lovebugs from sticking so much. Dr. Hostetler has teamed with Prestone, which offers a wiper fluid called "Bug Wash" to promote his book and the study of insects.

Could not open the link, my ol PPG is wanting signup , have heard the love bugs are attracted to carbon monoxide, they will swarm around vehicles at stop lights also. Have them bad in Fla and Texas.

Brads70

Return trip home from Carlisle one year.....