Main Menu

Stalls when warm.

Started by nsmall, January 16, 2021, 08:40:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Once my 340 gets warmed up it stalls and tonight unfortunately it took me 2 hours to get home.  I drive it a mile and then it stalls have to wait a half an hour and so on before it starts back up.  during the half an hour intermissions I check for spark and there's nothing.

I swapped out the ballast and that didn't help and I switched out the ECU module and that didn't help. I pack spares of those.

Someone recommended that I switch out the magnetic pickup and so I did that about two weeks ago and the part was made in China by a company called Standard that I got from summit.

Any suggestions what I should do moving forward?

Maybe I have another bad magnetic pickup?

Any suggestions?

Chryco Psycho

I have commonly seen the pick up fail as it gets warm , could also be the coil

nsmall

Coil is brand new from Mancini.  I could put the backup coil on just for fun.  I might have to buy another magnetic pickup and see if that helps.

7212Mopar

Check the gap at the pick up. Gap too big?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

nsmall

Gap seems right.  The gap is the size of a business card and even.

davy442

Does the engine start to run rough, sputter before it stalls, or does it just shut off as if you turned the ignition off ?

nsmall

@davy442

Last night I did notice that it was cutting out a little bit. When I'm on the throttle it doesnt stall, as soon as I let off the throttle and come to a stop is when it stalls. 

davy442

Quote from: nsmall on January 17, 2021, 07:55:24 AM
@davy442

Last night I did notice that it was cutting out a little bit. When I'm on the throttle it doesnt stall, as soon as I let off the throttle and come to a stop is when it stalls.

Well, the added fact that you drive it about 1-2 miles before it happens , and also letting it cool down seems classic for a stuck choke, mis-adjusted choke.  What doesn't make sense is no spark.  Are you running a carburetor with a  an automatic choke? Either mechanical or electric? 

davy442

When I check for spark these days , I now get a spare spark plug, connect it to one of the plug wires, and then use jump cables connecting the ground of the plug to a reliable ground.  Trying to ground the side of the plug directly to the frame has just not been reliable for me.

dodj

If you have a rallye dash, disconnect the tach. Then go for a short drive.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

nsmall

I have a rallye dash.  What's the easiest way to unhook the tach?  Thanks

I don't have any sort of a choke hooked up, I  have it all pulled out since I live in a desert.

Thanks for all your help so far.

RUNCHARGER

Unhooking right at the coil will take it out of the mix.
Sheldon

nsmall

According to my wiring diagram the yellow one is the one to the tach, is that correct?  Thanks

Looks like I have a gray and a brown wire in there too.  Thanks

dodj

I don't remember which colour but if you disconnect the wrong one it won't hurt anything, definitely won't start though....Go with what your diagram says.

Another thing. Did you verify fuel when it stops? I had a car with a plugged fuel filter years ago that would stop running from fuel starvation. If I waited a bit it would refire and go for a short distance again before all the crud in the filter would plug up the filter and stop fuel flow again. I know you said it had no spark, but it seems eerily similar to a plugged filter episode I had years ago. :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

shawge

:alan2cents: The gray/tan wire on negative side of coil is the tach.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet