Main Menu

I found a weird glitch with Chrysler's battery warrantee program

Started by kawahonda, June 25, 2019, 09:41:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Holy heck, this is very weird. @MoparDave

I bought a Mopar battery over the counter one year ago. I've had my car fail to start and left me stranded twice. I had a good hunch that the battery is to blame for various reasons. Since the battery has a 24-month warrantee, I took it to CDJR.

I approached the counter and said I have a battery that I believe is faulty. They ran around not knowing what to do--it felt like I was the first person to return a battery. They went out to the service advisor area and then realized that it has to go through the system, and for the battery to be officially tested and for it to be tagged to a VIN number. The catch is: if it passes the test, I pay $70 for the technicians time. If it fails the test, I get a replacement. They needed my VIN # and the whole works. Since I was fairly sure the battery is shot, I agreed to these terms.

I just got a text this morning, and the battery failed the test. It is a bad battery. But along with the text said that he's having problem finding a way to pay his technician and for me to give him a call.

I'm only giving you the short version of the story too! I feel bad for the service reps, but this seems weird.

WTF.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Cuda Cody

That's sounds kinda weird, but maybe it's the way things are done these days.

MoparDave

per warranty guidelines the battery must be tested though service on the GR8 machine. that's the only way we can warranty a battery or deny a claim. this is not a common issue. But if the battery was old to start and was less than 90% charged before you put it in. Then what ever charge was in the battery is what it will only charge up to. Now, not all dealers are the same or ran the same or even have the same knowledge. Trust me on that as I have been in Multiple dealers across the state and ohio and Indiana and none are the same. FCA policy is. but how each handle the customers are each there own. LOL if he asked you how to pay his tech. Its a warranty claim at that point. Sheeesh.
Please Email me at daver@manciniracing.com or call 586-790-4100

kawahonda

Yea. Seems weird.

I really don't want to call him at this point. I'll delay it a few days...maybe he'll email me back and tell me he's figured it out.

It's just amazing how much I felt like I rattled the nest when I walked in there..so much confusion about what to do...I must have been walked to about 3-4 service advisers, and 2 people in the parts area. Hell, even the main tech (old school Mopar guy) came out. He was down to earth and pretty much said he has to hook it up, if it fails, then I get a new one. Easy as that.

I even kept the receipt and faxed it over to him. I purchased it on 6/22/2018.

The sad thing about this is that I already bought a new Mopar battery because I didn't want anymore downtime, so this other one that they have, even if it gets replaced (I ain't paying a tech's fee), I will probably Craigslist it and pass along a good deal to someone locally. I just want to recoup most of the price, that's all at this point.

kawahonda

Well, the shop finally pulled through and give me a brand new Mopar battery.

I'm having a hell of a time trying to sell it. It's $180 over the counter. I have it listed at $140, and haven't had a single bite in a month or so that it's been for sale. :(

Maybe I'll lower it to $100, which is nearly half off! If anyone in the Boise area needs a battery....

MoparDave

really not a glitch the just don't know what the Fudge is. process is and has been the same. Its either pass or fail. no more proration, just straight replacement now. 

Spikedog08

I think I would have it tested at the local auto parts store for free first just to make sure I know it is bad.  Having to pay a tech to test a battery is not something I'm willing to do . . . And or pay for. 

:alan2cents:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

cuda hunter

Too bad I didn't know that price when I was driving through Idaho a week ago.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

wanderlustin

Quote from: MoparDave on June 25, 2019, 11:25:27 AM
But if the battery was old to start and was less than 90% charged before you put it in. Then what ever charge was in the battery is what it will only charge up to.

@MoparDave If I were to buy a "new" battery should it be put on a charger before it is put in the car?  Or do you recommend a simple voltage test of the battery first.  It's wild that a battery seems to have "memory" and only charges up to the on-the-shelf voltage. Am I understanding that correctly?  Seems like I read somewhere that 12.8 vdc was 100% charge... :thinking:

MoparDave

All batteries should be checked prior in stall. simply put that of the unknown shelf time and were they truly charged 100%. so if a battery is installed and it is at 85% and not charged properly and started and ran. that battery will never go above 85 %

wanderlustin

Quote from: MoparDave on September 26, 2019, 11:40:43 AM
All batteries should be checked prior in stall. simply put that of the unknown shelf time and were they truly charged 100%. so if a battery is installed and it is at 85% and not charged properly and started and ran. that battery will never go above 85 %

I'll remember this going forward.  Thanks Dave!  Amazing how many times I've tossed a "new" battery in without considering what you described.

Spikedog08

Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

kawahonda

Some battery places are better than others. Interstate Batteries keep their batteries on trickles in the back, so when it's in your hands it's 100% ready to go.

Other places, like part stores, probably just "store" them.

Always a good idea to place on trickle charger for the first night, but no reason why you cannot install it and use it after you buy it from any place...just make sure to give it a nice top-off overnight..