Main Menu

I think I'll dodge the Dart...

Started by ViperMan, June 27, 2017, 05:30:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ViperMan

So the G. Cherokee had to go into the shop again this week - turned out to be very minor, but getting rides and such is a TOTAL pain in the butt, so I just literally crossed the street to Enterprise and they gave me a 2016 Dodge Dart for the past 2 days...

It's funny, 'cause I can't remember the last time I drove a 4-cylinder!!   :))

Of course it has the typical, plastic dash, no frills or thrills.  The engine tries to keep itself in upper revs to have power on demand, but it's still very sluggish to respond to quick changes in throttle input.  Zips my big butt around well enough, but I imagine loading the whole family in it would substantially diminish it's performance.  Biggest problem though, was every time I got in and out I knocked my head against the roof line!  NOT meant for taller folks!

Let's just say, glad to have the Jeep back!

JH27N0B

I have a 2014 Dart rally 2.4L with 6 speed for a daily driver and I like it a lot.  Mine has the u connect with the touch screen and the dash is much better than the boring dash in my '09 Challenger R/T.  I'm 6'3" and the car has plenty of headroom, though I do rub my head slightly getting out of it.
If I lived in a more open area and had a shorter commute, I'd buy a pickup truck.  But Ive owned a pickup and an SUV and just don't like driving them in the crazy traffic around here, or maneuvering them around in crowded parking lots and parking garages.
I'm sure I'd like my car a lot less if it had the 2.0 and an automatic.

Brads70

I was car shopping with/for my son. We took one out and both didn't like it. No room, cracked my head getting in and out after folding myself in half to get in/out ..... I just don't feel safe in small cars...

ViperMan

Quote from: Brads70 on June 27, 2017, 05:47:19 PM
I was car shopping with/for my son. We took one out and both didn't like it. No room, cracked my head getting in and out after folding myself in half to get in/out ..... I just don't feel safe in small cars...

Haha I still remember when you had that rental car (a Cheby, I think) at Andy's when he passed away and your head literally touched the headliner until I showed you how to lower the seats!  :)

You're a pretty tall guy!  I could see small cars being uncomfortable for you.

Brads70

Quote from: ViperMan on June 27, 2017, 07:52:58 PM

Haha I still remember when you had that rental car (a Cheby, I think) at Andy's when he passed away and your head literally touched the headliner until I showed you how to lower the seats!  :)

:thinking:   I don't remember that or what car it was? Likely a Mopar as usually I rent from a local Avis that is owned by a Mopar dealership.

RUNCHARGER

They're all bad. I'm only 6'1" But my wife's 2001 neon was bad, My Intrepid, 300M, Viper and wifey's SLK have all been hard to get into and out of as well. That's why I drive my Ram everyday I guess.
Sheldon

ViperMan

Quote from: Brads70 on June 27, 2017, 08:12:52 PM
Quote from: ViperMan on June 27, 2017, 07:52:58 PM

:thinking:   I don't remember that or what car it was? Likely a Mopar as usually I rent from a local Avis that is owned by a Mopar dealership.

I remember it was silver, and I remember standing out on the street in front of their house and you talking about how tight a fit it was, then finding the handle that is used to "ratchet" up and down the seats.  You were like, "Oh!!  Well that's a major improvement!!"  :)  I felt like it was the only thing I really knew how to do all day!   :haha:

MEK-Dangerous

I liked the looks of the Dart. It was basically a 3/4 size Charger.

Having said that, I never sat in one, or drove it. I guess it depends on what engine you had in your's Jeff. The 2.4 seems to have been the best. The 2.0 is said to be a dog.

JH27N0B

You guys must have cursed me ripping on Darts this week.
This morning I was almost to work, got off the off ramp from the tollway and was stopped at the red light, when I heard a screech and bam!  I was rear ended. Some ditz in an SUV rammed a Camry stopped behind me and shoved it into my Dart.  The Camry was creamed, trunk shoved into the back window.  My car has a damaged bumper and dented trunk lid, but still completely drivable.
They took the lady driving the Camry off in an ambulance.  I don't think she was badly hurt, I saw her texting on her phone as they loaded her into the ambulance so I think she'll live.  :ohyeah:
My neck was hurting a bit but maybe just my imagination, it seems OK now.
Last summer I was driving to work a mile or so from where I got nailed today, and a truck blew up in front of me, and my Dart got $1500 damage from the debris cloud I drove through.
My poor Dart!  :crying:
Good thing was that this time of the year I usually drive my '09 Challenger R/T to work on Fridays and then swing by a cruise after work.  Forecast was a good chance of rain so I left it in the garage this morning and drove my trusty Dart to work instead.

RUNCHARGER

Time for your Dart to start DODGEing that type of action.
Sheldon

ViperMan

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 30, 2017, 07:28:50 PM
Time for your Dart to start DODGEing that type of action.

Dodge puns for the win...

Didn't mean to curse you, JH27NOB!  I'm glad you're alright, and the Dart should be an easy fix!  I've been rear-ended at least twice in my driving life, and it's the one thing I'm actually terrified of when I'm riding my motorcycle.

:o

RUNCHARGER

You have that right! On my bike I stop with the bike pointing to an escape route either to the right or left of the car in front and watch my mirrors like a hawk, along with keeping the brake light on or even blinking it.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

Actually I like commuting in a small nimble car here in this crazy Chicagoland traffic, Dodge Darts handle like they are on a rail, so they are great for "darting" around among all the speeding cars and trucks.  ;)
I was stopped with a car behind me and a car in front of me, so I really don't see any way I could have gotten out of the way even if I was watching my mirrors and saw the SUV coming down the ramp but not slowing down.

ViperMan

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 03, 2017, 08:12:50 AM
You have that right! On my bike I stop with the bike pointing to an escape route either to the right or left of the car in front and watch my mirrors like a hawk, along with keeping the brake light on or even blinking it.

I'll keep the angled-stop in mind!!  I do frequently blink my brake light when I see a car approaching behind me.

JH - I was the guy who took the initial hit in 2015 when a pickup truck slammed into the back of my Jeep.  I saw him coming and angled towards the right - avoided hitting the car in front of me (but did take out some dude's mailbox...)  Hit me so hard my sunroof visor slid open.