Main Menu

I want to restore this! - 1980 Honda -

Started by Cuda Cody, September 27, 2018, 03:50:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

I'm thinking about restoring a motorcycle!  Never done one before, but that probably will not stop me from trying.  My dad's grandma passed away in 1981 and my father was left a little bit of money from her.  He spent it on a new (used 1 year old) motorcycle for my younger brother and I.  Since he knew he was only going to be able to buy 1 motorcycle he bought the biggest bike I could ride so I could grow and ride it for many years.  He got us a 1980 Honda CR80.

Well, for a small 8 year old kid it was pretty big bike but that didn't stop me from riding it.  I would use a stump to get on and off it until I was tall enough to get on without help.  Rode that bike everywhere and it was a highlight of my childhood.  Just picked up another used 1980 CR80 today and I think I might restore it!

Anyone else ride motorcycles when they were a kid?

1 Wild R/T

Hodaka Super Rat.... (The flying toaster)   Rode lots of bikes since lots of friends had them & I was the kid who could fix them....  Oh I had a Rickman Zundapp too.....

Timbbuc2

My son had one just like that. I restored a 1984 Honda Goldwing 1200. from the ground up. When I started the restoration parts were still available from Honda, which saved  money. Had it painted Wineberry with Gold pin stripes. I have a 1979 Honda 50 that is in line to be restored. My neighbor gave it to me, his father bought it new for him. Had not run in 20 years, I had it going in one hour. SO now I will restore it for my grandbabies.
Get in, I'll drive

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Timbbuc2 on September 27, 2018, 03:59:40 PM
SO now I will restore it for my grandbabies.

I can hear it now... OH MY GOD THEY ARE GONNA GET KILLED!!!! 

Good for you kids still need to have some fun... 

anlauto

I have a friend that restores classic mini bikes...not cheap or easy by any means....he was buying NOS parts out of China for his resto... :o
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RJChallenger

In 73 as an 12 year old I inherited a Kawi 175 cc dirt bike from my older brother, when he and his friend bought two new H2 750 tripples from a Kawasaki dealership. Having that dirt bike was like being at summer camp all year. Enjoy the restoration.

06Daytona

I had a Suzuki 80 when I was a kid. I loved that thing. My dad bought a house to reno and there was an old Honda moped in the basement so I tore it apart and got it running. I've been tinkering with stuff ever since.
This isn't the actual bike, but it was like this. It was 70 mach 1 burgundy with silver and when I bought my first Harley it was the same color by accident.