Main Menu

Is it just me? Pic's of tools...

Started by gumby, March 02, 2018, 12:13:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gumby

Got an ad from Sears. Own plenty of their tools. Plus MAC and Snapon, and BluePoint,

Ah, could look at tools all day long? and never get tired of it? lol.

Does anyone else have this affliction? My sister called the other day, and wondered what I was doing! lol. I was looking at an electrical supply catalog
that I got in the mail, to see the new automotive and stereo connectors available! How retarded! Yes, sadly, it was true.

Anyone else do this? http://www.sears.com/craftsman-500-piece-mechanics-tool-set/p-00902297000P#Imagezoom

quapman

I try not to look at Crapsman tools any more since they closed our local store and the closest one is now 40 miles away. We don't even have an Ace hardware nearby.

jimynick

Quote from: quapman on March 02, 2018, 03:52:19 AM
I try not to look at Crapsman tools any more since they closed our local store and the closest one is now 40 miles away. We don't even have an Ace hardware nearby.
Don't feel too bad, they closed ALL the stores here in Ontario!  :headbang:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

cuda hunter

Our Sears just opened a new updated store. 

I love tools.  I've got enough tools to build Huge homes and enough tools to work on a fleet of trucks!  Plus some antiques sitting around here and there. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Have to watch carefully if you want to buy Craftsman tools that are still Made in the USA.
Been collecting stilson and monkey wrenches.
Catalogs and online viewing for me, Lisle, Snap-on , etc.

340challconvert

Most of my tools are Craftsman from the old days; made in USA.
I have a mixture of Proto, Snap-on, other makes and believe it or not original Husky tools that were my first tools when I was in my teens.
Sadly, Craftsman is no longer American made, and at times I buy Harbor Freight when I need something in a hurry.

I used to go to Sears years ago and spend an hour just browsing in the tool section. Always bought the brand, and to this day still own Craftsman tool boxes.
I am always on the hunt for used American-made tools when they pop up for sale.
:wrenching:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

dodj

Quote from: jimynick on March 03, 2018, 09:17:55 PM
IMO, the quality of craftsman tools had gone so downhill I stopped going into Sears 5 or ten years ago.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

340challconvert

Starting looking at Proto tools again. Love Snap-on, but the price  :'(
Liked this long handle ratchet that I needed to buy
Made here in USA, nice finish and reasonable price.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

RUNCHARGER

How is the ratchet action on that Proto? I've taken to finding used Snap-On lately.
Sheldon

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on March 04, 2018, 06:09:38 AM

Quote from: jimynick on March 03, 2018, 09:17:55 PM
IMO, the quality of craftsman tools had gone so downhill I stopped going into Sears 5 or ten years ago.

:iagree:  There are other options now. Then the warranty from Sears was not what it used to be. I found Sear's in the USA is drastically different than here in Canada. MUCH more selection in the tool department. Tools not available up here, that are in the USA etc.... Now a mute point as the management ran it into the ground and they are now history here in Canada. It's a shame as they used to sell the majority of the small engine equipment around here. At one time in the 80's they had the best car battery's and tires were pretty good for the money also. That's all gone now....
I know a few people really hurt by Sears leaving , worked there for 30 plus years and lost a big chunk of their pensions/ medical benefits etc.... while Sears paid their executives millions in bonus's  while the workers got zip. IMO, Too many Chief's , not enough Indians  and down it went....

6bblgt

Sears sold Craftsman to Stanley/Black & Decker last January (2017), I think it was announced some of the manufacturing was returning to the US?

JS29

Ya just can't beet the quality of Snap-on. I love the fine tooth ratchets and the flank drive wrenches.  :alan2cents:

CudaMoparRay

Sears!, what is Sears??  :huh: :clueless:
Haven't been there in years for anything including their famous Kenmore brands anymore.
Seriously, places like Pepboys, Autozone ,Harbor Freight, Lowe's and Home Depot for tools and appliances are more abundant and close by just making it easier to go to and buy there instead.
Otherwise,  Sears was ok.

IRON MAN

The man cave is nothing without tools. This thread inspired me to order some more tools. Sears products can be ordered from Summit Racing. Just ordered a Craftsman 40-piece thread restorer kit and Chicago Brand Dial Calipers.  :banana:

I know what happened to Sears,trying to figure out what the heck happened to Roebuck ?