Main Menu

Is it just me? Pic's of tools...

Started by gumby, March 02, 2018, 12:13:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jimynick

Here in Canada, Canadian Tire has come out with their Professional brand and they look just like Snap-on stuff only they're an eighth of the price and they have a lifetime guarantee. The wrenches and ratchets are finished as nicely too. We've bought several sets of wrenches and sockets/ratchets and have no complaints and haven't broken one either. They don't stick out in the drawer beside the Snap-on ones as well.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

340challconvert

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on March 04, 2018, 09:06:44 AM
How is the ratchet action on that Proto? I've taken to finding used Snap-On lately.
Sharp and concise. I needed a ratchet to raise and lower the torsion bars with some leverage.
Very happy with the performance and looks to be good quality! :banana:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

RzeroB

Quote from: 73440 on March 04, 2018, 02:47:10 PM
I know what happened to Sears,trying to figure out what the heck happened to Roebuck ?

Where ever it is that Roebuck went, I think Sears will be joining it there in the not too distant future ... unfortunately.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: RzeroB on March 04, 2018, 07:25:59 PM
Quote from: 73440 on March 04, 2018, 02:47:10 PM
I know what happened to Sears,trying to figure out what the heck happened to Roebuck ?

Where ever it is that Roebuck went, I think Sears will be joining it there in the not too distant future ... unfortunately.

Could not stand the suspense anymore of where Roebuck went so here you go:

MountainWings       A MountainWings Moment

#11322           Wings Over The Mountains of Life

So What Happened to Roebuck?
====================

The thought suddenly hit me, "What happened to Roebuck of Sears
and Roebuck?" The large U.S. chain store, Sears, used to be
officially called The Sears, Roebuck and Company but it was
popularly called Sears and Roebuck. Now it's just Sears. So what
happened to Roebuck? I searched to find out and the story is
rather interesting and it's also a MountainWings Moment.

So, what happened to Roebuck?

Of the famous Sears, Roebuck & Company.

Richard Warren Sears made a deal with a watch retailer to accept
a scam consignment of watches at a lower price. He then made a
second deal with the wholesaler, netted $5000 on his first
transaction, and started the R. W. Sears Watch Company in
Chicago.

Putting an ad in the paper for a watchmaker, only one person
answered the ad - Alvah Curtis Roebuck.

And a partnership was born and in 1893 they co-founded Sears,
Roebuck and Company, including a mail-order catalog selling only
watches. Sears was 30 years old, and Roebuck 29.

Only two years later, bored with the business, Roebuck asked
Sears to buy him out for $20,000. Sears complied. His company,
and catalog, expanded. By 1897 the catalog was 500 pages and
sold everything, including houses! Retiring in 1908 due to
failing health, Sears passed away in 1914. He was only 50 years
old.

And Roebuck? He semi-retired to Florida (before air
conditioning) and used his money to finance and begin two
businesses. He also served as president of the Emerson
Typewriter Company, inventing an improved typewriter called "The
Woodstock." After financial losses in the stock market crash of
1929 he returned to Chicago.

In 1934 a Sears store manager asked him to make a public
appearance at his store. It was such a success and so many
people showed up, that the Sears, Roebuck & Company hired him to
make public appearances all over the country. He was then
employed as a corporate historian. The world was introduced to
Roebuck!

And free enterprise? Alvah Roebuck did many different things and
always seemed to do what he enjoyed. He was free to begin and
manage businesses, employ others and be employed by others. He
enjoyed a long, happy and successful life. He was able to come
back from adversity and make a great life.

HE WAS FREE TO BE WHAT HE WANTED TO BE AND DO WHAT HE WANTED TO
DO.

Once when asked about his ex-partner's great wealth as compared
to his own modest wealth, he replied, "He's dead. Me? I never
felt better." He lived until 1948 to the age of 84!

~from Jay's Free Enterprise blog~

Dakota

I don't stare at tool catalogs much anymore, but I certainly have spent many hours walking through the tool section of Sears, Home Depot and Lowes to see what's available.   Most times, I walk away empty handed now primarily because of all the times before where I didn't.  I've not had any bad experience with Sears hand tools and sockets, but their torque wrenches have proven to be a complete waste of money despite being relative inexpensive if you catch a sale.   I ended up buying one from Matco which I've been very happy with.

The biggest thing I've noticed over the last few years is the wide selection of battery powered tools.   After "thinking about thinking about it" for several months, I bought one of the Milwaukee 3/8" drive M12 ratchets.   It's been a huge upgrade when I've done some work out in the cold or in tight working spaces.

Marc70challenger

Quote from: jimynick on March 04, 2018, 05:04:01 PM
Here in Canada, Canadian Tire has come out with their Professional brand and they look just like Snap-on stuff only they're an eighth of the price and they have a lifetime guarantee. The wrenches and ratchets are finished as nicely too. We've bought several sets of wrenches and sockets/ratchets and have no complaints and haven't broken one either. They don't stick out in the drawer beside the Snap-on ones as well.  :cheers:

My favorite store up there when we visit. Lol.

RUNCHARGER

I have picked up some of the Mastercraft stuff the last few years as well. I never considered them until a friend of mine that owns an engine shop told me about them. They look decent and feel decent and if you lose one you don't have to miss coffee for a month to afford to buy a replacement.
Sheldon

HP2

Quote from: 340challconvert on March 04, 2018, 05:51:08 AM
Sadly, Craftsman is no longer American made, and at times I buy Harbor Freight when I need something in a hurry.

I can't speak to their entire line, but I know for certain that all their screwdrivers and adjustable wrenches are made in the USA. The plant is a few miles up the road  from me.

However the plant that makes these tools was never branded as Sears or Craftsman but rather was  legally known as Western Forge and they made  several different brands there to  include Craftsman.  They are now owned by Ideal Industries and make these same tools for  several different distributors still.

72 Challenger

Quote from: jimynick on March 04, 2018, 05:04:01 PM

Canadian tire does not make the best tools around BUT their zero hassle return policy on broken or worn out tools is so smooth and seamless. No questions asked. If they don't have it in store they will ship it to your store.  I am not nice to my tools they are well used and well abused, never once have I been denied or had to fight to swap a tool.
Someday I will have a J0b.

anlauto

My girlfriend at the time bought me a Craftsman socket set about 35 years ago and aside from losing one of the sockets, I still use it everyday......same with a Craftsman screw drivers....My Phillips is close to 40 years old.

However I give a huge shout-out to the wrenches from Canadian Tire....I have just about every style they offer, purchased all of them when they have crazy ass sales like 70% off of course, and paid for them with Canadian Tire money too !......never had an issue, even with the ratchet wrenches....

I use my stuff everyday and very rarely been let down by a tool breaking.....

Best advice my brother-in-law gave me......" Nothing is better then having the right tool for the right job" :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

I happened to be in my buddy's shop yesterday when the Snap-on man came in. I asked him what a standard length 3/8" ratchet cost these days and was floored to hear "$120-130 before the 13% tax! Jesus! The weird part, is that, if you're in the know, you're able to buy a rebuild kit from Snap-on for the ratchets for about $6 bucks and I've done so. Idiotic.  :thumbdown:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

340challconvert

In my never ending search for well made tools:
picked up this Matco (USA made) flare wrench 9/16 - 1/2 in brand new for $9.00
Nice finish and heavy duty construction.

:wrenching:

Chryco Psycho

In Canada it used to be known as Simpsons Sears & as I recall Simpson died penniless living on the streets , I will have to look up that story I guess .
Flare wrenches are one of the tools you have to buy good ones , if they flex at all you will strip the nut if it is tight & has been there a while or trying to tichten stainless lines .

340challconvert

Found this interesting tool. :ohyeah:
Grease Cap tool
Installs the front grease cap onto the hub without denting the new (or old cap)

RUNCHARGER

That's a nice piece, I ended up welding one up out of pipe a few years ago. I got tired of marking the caps and it sure works well.
Sheldon